Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

TPMS - Do I need 4 or 5?

Old 10-29-2010, 02:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS - Do I need 4 or 5?

2010 JK unlimited. Do I need the TPMS sensor in the spare to get rid of the idiot light?

One dealer says I only need the TPMS in the 4 mounted tires. Another says I need them in the 4 mounted tires PLUS the spare to clear the idiot light. Anyone know conclusively if I need 4 or 5?

Will sensors from an 07-09 work on my 2010 without flashing the computer? Again, mixed info on this. I'm NOT doing a "transfer" of my old sensors but putting in take offs from an earlier model. My original wheels have the black TPMS sensors. Will the grey ones work as well? Will my JK learn these 'takeoffs' without having to flash the computer?

This TPMS stuff is frustrating. I don't mind the idiot light, but the wife thinks it's a dire issue. Gotta keep the wife happy.

ack....
Old 10-29-2010, 02:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Five in case you want to rotate that as well.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

you will need all five to prevent the light from coming on
Old 10-29-2010, 02:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to the owner's manual the TPMS does not monitor the spare wheel and tire. A spare wheel and tire with a low tire pressure condition will not trigger the TPMS warning light. TPMS only monitors the four active wheels and tires and will recognize the spare when swapped in. If you have a TPMS warning light and swap in the spare or air up your tires to correct low pressure it may take up to 20 minutes of driving at above 15mph. As for the compatibility issue, I have no idea if a reflash is required.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:05 PM
JK Newbie

Buy the AEV Procal for less than the sensors and do away with that BS altogether.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:07 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by myxmlcigar

Gotta keep the wife happy.

ack....
Good luck with that!
Old 10-29-2010, 06:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jorzac
Buy the AEV Procal for less than the sensors and do away with that BS altogether.
I've a 2010 Rubicon Unlimited with aftermarket rims and TPMS sensors in the 4 running tires. I didn't put the sensor in the spare and my TPMS works fine. Not sure why people here are posting that the system monitors the spare. I'm in Canada... maybe it's different in the US? I know certain states have their own new vehicle safety equipment requirements.

Do 4 and if the system won't turn off with all 4 tires at 40lbs then you'll have to add the spare I guess. Also, if you want to clear fault lights you need to sit in the vehicle with all doors shut, turn the ignition to accessory, and jam the gas pedal to the floor 3 times. Not sure this works for TPMS but It does for stuff like the maintenance warning.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TPMS only monitor the 4 rolling tires. When you crank up and start rolling the sensors detect their own movement and start reporting the pressure. If the computer logs 4 sensors with good pressure the light will not come on. If you only install 4 you will be fine until you either get a flat and swap in the TPMS-less spare or until you rotate the TPMS-less spare onto a wheel.

There is some debate on the frequencies. They are either 315MHz or 432MHz. The easiest thing to do would probably be to contact your dealer or local tire shop. Request a quote for 4 or 5 TPMS sensors installed. The quotes will have part number and price. On a 2010 it is probably the 432MHz sensors.

There is also debate on computer learning. Some say the WCM will learn sensors. Other people state you need to have the sensor IDs flashed to the computer. Get sensors. If the light does not go out after a week or so, visit a tire shop and get the computer flash.

Last edited by Vernnz; 10-29-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jorzac
Ok more confusion to the mix. From what I understand, the AEV Procal can NOT eliminate the idiot light if there are NO TPMS SENSORS mounted. Is this correct?

You can only use it to lower your PSI , so the light won't go off when running lower psi WITH TPMS sensors mounted. BUT, if there are no sensors in the wheels at all, the AEV Procal will NOT disable the WCM and the idiot light.

Again, anybody know conclusively?
Old 10-29-2010, 06:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Vernnz
TPMS only monitor the 4 rolling tires. When you crank up and start rolling the sensors detect their own movement and start reporting the pressure. If the computer logs 4 sensors with good pressure the light will not come on. If you only install 4 you will be fine until you either get a flat and swap in the TPMS-less spare or until you rotate the TPMS-less spare onto a wheel.
Ok. So is there consensus on this statement. ONLY 4 sensors need to be mounted on "4 rolling tires" for the idiot light to go out? The spare does NOT need a sensor and will NOT trigger a tpms warning light on the dash?

I'm TPMS'd out!

Last edited by myxmlcigar; 10-29-2010 at 07:15 PM.

Quick Reply: TPMS - Do I need 4 or 5?