Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

TPMS - Disable or replace.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TPMS - Disable or replace.

So I am replacing stock wheels and tires on my 2010 Sahara with some Black Rock 17's & Goodyear Duratracs and am trying to decide if I should bother replacing the TMPS valves. The OE ones are $130 each!!!! but I have seen aftermarket ones (Schrader) for about $40 a pop.

What do you guys think the way to go would be - disable the sensors with my programmer or drop the bucks on new TPMS valves?

Thx.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Canuckjkjeeper
...they took the TPMS out of my stock rims and re-installed rubber valve stems in them!
I thought about that but I don't have the aluminum stems in by OE rims I have the rubber stems that can't be moved
Old 06-11-2012, 02:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on if u want it, when I upgraded to my 37's I had them swap over the sensors to the new rims and put regular stems back in the stock tires so I could sell the wheel and tires. If u don't...look into a programmer like a procal which will allow u to turn it off as well as reprogram for size difference if u are going bigger, there are several different programmers out there make sure it does what u want before u purchase and remember they vin lock so if u decide to sell the programmer u have to set your jk back to stock to unlock it , and if it's a superchips I believe it's a $100 to unlock it.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vladivar

I thought about that but I don't have the aluminum stems in by OE rims I have the rubber stems that can't be moved
I have the rubber stems as well as that's what was on my 2012 u can still swap them over at least my tire peeps did. If they told u they can't sounds fishy like they are good digging.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my sensors moved to my new wheels. Then I changed the setpoint for the warning with the Pro Cal gizmo.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:12 PM
JK Newbie

Is having the TPMS light on grounds for failure on my inspection??

I had Town Fair Tire mount and align some 35" KM2 to my new Cragar Soft 8's. Despite them KNOWING what type of vehicle they were going on, they didn't make me aware that I should have the sensors swapped over. Of course, I have since sold those stock tires (and sensors). Pretty upset with them.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zpike00eb
Is having the TPMS light on grounds for failure on my inspection??

I had Town Fair Tire mount and align some 35" KM2 to my new Cragar Soft 8's. Despite them KNOWING what type of vehicle they were going on, they didn't make me aware that I should have the sensors swapped over. Of course, I have since sold those stock tires (and sensors). Pretty upset with them.
Don't know I am guessing that's a state by state safety thing they should have told u though that's for sure.

Trending Topics

Old 06-12-2012, 01:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
I decided to keep my TPMS active so I deal with my light on when off-road. On road, I would rather have the system working so I know if I have a tire issue. It is a safety feature and it serves a great purpose. Why so many people want it disabled completely most likely relates to how often you go off-road and air down as well as wht you run your tires for daily driving. I run mine between 28 and 30psi so the sensors work fine. Drop down to 26 or less and your light will come on no matter what since the lowest you can adjust your system is 26psi (at least that is the lowest I could go adjusting it via superchips...without shutting it off completley).

If you are concerned about safety, transfer yout sensors to your new wheels. If the safety feature won;t work due to normal daily tipre pressure you will run than shut it off using a programmer. I live in MA and have had no issues passing inpsection with the system turned off (I ran it this way for a year before reinstalling them for the safety factor). MA has some strict laws for vehicle inspection so I am guessing you will be fine wherever you live.
Yeah the superchips doesn't let u adjust it a ton I have owned both the procal and the superchips. The procal will allow u to adjust it below that I actually have mine set for 8psi and so far they work perfect. I did like some of the other features the superchips had but hated how long it took to run and load programming.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

I bought a set of new TPMs for $108 delivered and had them installed on my new tires/rims. My Bully Dog Tuner let's me set it down to 10 PSI which is lower than what I would ever need.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

A tire shop can move your existing TPMS to your new wheels. They will then replace the OE stems with rubber ones. If they tell you they can't, they are lying. And that price for TPMS sensors new is far too high. Should be half that or less.

TPMS is good to have.

Quick Reply: TPMS - Disable or replace.