Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Toyo Open Country or Nitto Muds, need some help

Old 11-28-2009, 12:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyo Open Country or Nitto Muds, need some help

Ok, so this is my first post for help with my JK. I have been reading and learning all about a lot of things on this site, there is great info here. I bought a 2010 JK Unlimited 3 weeks ago, and have already ordered a RK 3.5" X Factor, Fox shocks, a Flashpaq, new 4.88 gears with a Arb Locker, and a set of Xenon 1.5" wider flares.
In Maine they are strict about tires sticking out beyond the flares, and anything beyond is a $150 fine. The only thing left are tires, I am leaning towards the Nitto Muds, in the 35x12.5x17 flavor, or a set of Toyo Open Countrys in the same size. The tires will be mounted on 17x9 rims with a 4.5" back spacing. I am leaning towards the Nittos, but am worried even with the flares they will stick out beyond them. The sidewall can be beyond but not the tread, I know there are a ton of jeeps on here with both tires. Can someone help me out and let me know how much beyond stock flares these tires stick out, or the Xenon's. I have searched but haven't seen too many pics that clearly show what I am looking for.
I am hoping to order the rims and tires on Monday, so next weekend will be the big wrenchathon at the shop. If you think I might be missing anything else from my list, please advise me as to what I might need. Any pics or info in the right direction is greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:59 PM
JK Newbie

I'm running 33x12.5 Toyo's

They seem to be great tires, 7k miles on em. Mine do stick out approximately 1/2 - 1 inch past the stock fenders. I unfortunately don't remember my back spacing. although I don't rub, except into the fender under full flex.

Hope this helps a little.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want a tire that looks b@d@ss, then get the Nittos.

If you want a beefy tire that will perform well on varied terrain and still have reasonable street manners - and also soak up a HUGE amount of abuse without complaint, but the Toyos.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:53 AM
JK Newbie

The Toyo's and Nitto's are the same actual dimensions.
Toyo's are much better on the street.

Quick Reply: Toyo Open Country or Nitto Muds, need some help