Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Toyo Open Country MT vs. Mickey Thompson MTZ? Which one ?

Old 08-17-2010, 01:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyo Open Country MT vs. Mickey Thompson MTZ? Which one ?

Hey guys i was wondering in your opinion which one of these tires are better? Which is gonna last longer, make more noise, and which will perform better off road? Thanks
Old 08-17-2010, 04:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blk08jkca
there are a ton of tire comparisons on here try a search...or some one might chime in.
from what i know the open country is mostly an E rated tire and rougher from what i hear
i have only seen the mtz on a hummer (much heavier than are jk's) but i know some people on here run em.. i really dig the look of both tire tho.. wear on the other hand i cant imagine is as good as the km2 or mtr kevlar but to each his own
I have ran the MTZ's. They ride quiet on road and perform very well offroad! The Toyo's are a very heavy tire.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toad
They may be a heavy tire but they kick ass! I love my Toyos. These things have performed great! They are grippy on the rocks, never had any problems with flats or chunking. The noise isn't so bad for what they are...actually pretty quiet for the amount of lugs it has. Or maybe I'm just used to it. Although, I do off-road quite a bit so they stand up to the test for me. It may be different if you drive more on pavement then off. But I highly recommend them.
X2. Love my Toyos. Great in all situations, rocks, mud, street. Much quieter than my SSR's were. I think off road the weight can be an advantage with momentum and staying on rocks better, at least IMO. And the sidewall is super tuff.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:33 PM
JK Newbie

Default Love my toyos

X3 been running toyos for over 15,000 miles. Work great off road, love the rocks, and are quite driveable on the road. Not as noisy as the MTR on my 04 rubi.

Henry
Old 08-17-2010, 06:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

i have mtz but only 4000 on them. do a little off roading here and there. have not let me down yet
Old 08-17-2010, 06:18 PM
ksk
JK Enthusiast

I got the MTZ's and im probably gonna buy another 4 when they need replacement...awesome tyre...very happy with them both on and off road..

KSK
Old 08-17-2010, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a friend that runs both of these tires on his 3/4 ton trucks. The Toyos on his personal truck 38x15.50x18 and it seriously takes 2 people to lift the tire comfortable, these ride well, wear well and are quiet. He has MTZ's on his work truck. these seem to be eqaully good. I will note that he is a dairyman so his work truck is in mud and $hit daily with the MTZ's.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Toyos hands down a better tire. Chunks less and last longer on the road. It is comparable to the km2 for tire wear. The sidewalls are considerably stronger than the mtz. Toyos are my pick of tire for rocks, they stick like glue.

Also have almost 20,000 miles on mine and alot of offroading and they have plenty of tread left............ unfortunately.

Last edited by redx08; 08-17-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the Toyo MT's (35X12.5X17) . Only 3600 miles so far but happy with them. First Jeep so can only compare to tires on 4X4 trucks I have had. Not that noisy but I like a little "big tire roar" (not my DD). Ride isnt bad but again nothing else to compare too other than stock. Best part is they look good....IMO......
Old 08-17-2010, 08:08 PM
JK Super Freak

From all accounts, the Toyo's are the easiest to balance larger diameter mud tire made. On a vehicle that is suspect to death wobble to me that is a HUGE upside and ONE of the reasons I am thinking of going that way when I make a change.

Quick Reply: Toyo Open Country MT vs. Mickey Thompson MTZ? Which one ?