Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

towing question

Old 06-14-2012, 08:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default towing question

Im looking at getting a pop up trailer & was wondering a few things on towing. First off I have a 2011 JKU sport auto with 3.73 gears 315/70/17 Mickey Thompson Baja mtz & a 4" mopar lift. Im looking at not going over 2500 lbs loaded weight on the trailer. I was wondering if im going to need to get a trailer brake module or if ill be ok without it? Also is it possible to put it in now because I thought I read somewhere that you had to have the tow package from factory to even have one. Also will my gears be ok pulling a trailer or am I going to have to regear? Any help would be appreciated thanks.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If the trailer your going to tow has electronic brakes you need to get the electronic brake controller for in the cab. Where I purchased my pop up trailer new they installed the tow hitch, brake controller and all wiring. Also if it's a 2 wheel trailer like mine was you should have them put the anti sway bar on. It ads a second little ball to the hitch side and another on the trailer frame with a slide bar with tension adjustment. This really keeps the trailer straight and true behind you especially on windy days. I highly recommend a trailer with the electronic brakes and controller. Other wise when you are coming down the hills and mountains you will heat up and warp your rotors trying to brake the extra weight.

Your gears will be fine I had them in my 05 unlimited towing the pop up (3000lbs) and my 07 rubi with the 4:10's also did fine.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Dirk Pitt
If the trailer your going to tow has electronic brakes you need to get the electronic brake controller for in the cab. Where I purchased my pop up trailer new they installed the tow hitch, brake controller and all wiring. Also if it's a 2 wheel trailer like mine was you should have them put the anti sway bar on. It ads a second little ball to the hitch side and another on the trailer frame with a slide bar with tension adjustment. This really keeps the trailer straight and true behind you especially on windy days. I highly recommend a trailer with the electronic brakes and controller. Other wise when you are coming down the hills and mountains you will heat up and warp your rotors trying to brake the extra weight.
Alright thanks I was going to get the anti sway bar just from experience with my family always having them & saying you need them. Ill see if the place im going to get my trailer from can install a controller for me if not ill get one installed before. How does your jeep do towing your pop up? & what's the weight on your trailer?
Old 06-14-2012, 11:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Dry weight was 2600 lbs. Loaded up with water supplies etc.. Right around 3000lbs. It towed fine just don't expect to have any drag races with it. Lol.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Dirk Pitt
Dry weight was 2600 lbs. Loaded up with water supplies etc.. Right around 3000lbs. It towed fine just don't expect to have any drag races with it. Lol.
I can't drag race without a trailer anyways its like a sloth most of the time lol thanks for the help
Old 06-14-2012, 12:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Murder¹

I can't drag race without a trailer anyways its like a sloth most of the time lol thanks for the help
No problem

Quick Reply: towing question