Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Towing with OME springs (anyone doing this please help)

Old 09-07-2011, 07:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing with OME springs (anyone doing this please help)

I am currently towing a 2000 pound trailer with my 2dr running the TF coil leveling kit. The rear springs just sag way to much. I was going to step up to the OME 2" lift before I started towing. My question is, are the front light duty and the rear medium duty ok or will they sag as well. I didn't want the HD's because I don't need that much lift.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hi, nice to see another local jeeper on here, I don't know too much about the ome coils, but I do know aev is coming out with a 2" progressive coil kit very soon. Their kits are built with heavy loads in mind. Picking up a set of their rear coils may just do the the trick.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:23 AM
JK Newbie

Default OME Load Carrying

I'm in the process of getting an OME 2.5" HD lift in my 2 dr 2008 Rubi. I did a lot of research and talked with a lot of people before choosing the OME lift. My primary concern was the rear end sagging when I load it and the on-road drive characteristics after the lift. I was in the 4WD Parts store in Oakland, when a guy came in with a competitor's lift. He was just putting camping supplies in the back and the rear end sagged. He replaced his with OME 2.5" HD and eliminated the problem and loves the ride.

After it's done, I'll tow a 2K trailer and let you know how it rides.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for the help guys. I was unsure of the hd's because of the amount of lift. I really curious about the aev coils. Any idea when there are coming out?
Old 09-07-2011, 08:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've spoken to aev twice about them on the phone and been following the thread on the aev forum, in June they were saying by the end of summer, now they are saying they are trying to get them into production as fast as possible. So i think the research and development is done, and they are just waiting for the production run. If you give them a call they may have some updated info for you. otherwise I'd guess they'll be out in the next month or so. Good luck
Old 09-07-2011, 07:02 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Can't comment on the 2door ome coils, as they are different numbers than the 4door coils. But on my 4door, I have the heavy coils up front (heavy bumper and winch) and the mediums in the rear (stock bumper). The heavy front coils have sagged very little, the medium rears sag noticeably with added weight like going from soft top to hard top. (wish I had gone with heavy coils front and rear, instead of letting myself be talked into the medium rears).

That said, I have zero issues towing 3000+ lbs boats and trailers. As long as you have the trailer loaded correctly, not a ton of weight up front, you'll be fine with the ome mediums.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Ome

OME are a good choice for coils when towing or touring - that is what they are made for in Oz -touring with roof racks, fridges and camper trailers. Instead of making 2,3 and 4" coils of the same rating, they pretty much make a 2.5" lift with different rating coils heavy load, med load and light load. And you can always use a medium coil and add air bag helpers like the firestone ones that go inside your coils for use when towing. best of both worlds then.

Quick Reply: Towing with OME springs (anyone doing this please help)