Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Towing my wifes prius to texas from socal

Old 09-25-2013, 02:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can't tow a Prius 4 down, you will need either a flat bed trailer or a tow dolly. I recommend that you get one with electric trailer brakes also. The tow dolly alone can weight 500 to 1000 pounds depending on the brand and how it's equipped, so either choice is going to put you at or over your max capacity. The Jeep will probably tow it just fine, where you'll get in a jamb is if you are involved in an accident. You insurance may deny the claim, and liability could sift to you for exceeding the max recommended towing capacily of the vehicle. As for renting, I doubt U-Haul will even rent you a trailer or tow dolly if it will exceed your max towing capacity. Also, a few years ago I read U-Haul wouldn't rent a trailer to a Jeep owner if the Jeep had a soft top! I don't know if this was a regional policy or national, but if you don't have a hard top, you may be out of luck regardless of the weight of what you are towing.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:28 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Insurance will cover you, but guarantee the rates will go up or policy will be cancelled. I've rented trailers from Uhaul with my hard top. Their beef with Jeeps is the soft top.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

How does a Jeep owner and Prius owner get along? Prius drivers scare me to death! Every time one is near me I make sure I move lanes. Prius drivers......world worst drivers! All this being based on the drivers here in Columbus.

MPO = Ship it, let some else deal with it! Best of luck in your travels.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

You should already have a trans cooler being a 2013 mine does.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Killfoot1775
How does a Jeep owner and Prius owner get along?

Easy both know the roles of each vehicle, one is for long work commutes and the other is weekend fun. What the prius saves in gas the Jeep enjoys while having fun!! (Man did that just rhime??)
Prius drivers scare me to death! Every time one is near me I make sure I move lanes. Prius drivers......world worst drivers!
I drive the prius daily and man are you right on the money. Sometimes I just want to slap people here in Southern California. Or worst yet, when they are going 55-60 and traffic is going 70-80mph?? Come on, I know you can go faster then that!! Your not saving any more fuel turds.... I still average 42-45mpg at 75MPH

All this being based on the drivers here in Columbus.

MPO = Ship it, let some else deal with it! Best of luck in your travels.
I agree with ^, I would ship it. About the same in gas and rental and none of the issues or worries.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hot94Z28
You should already have a trans cooler being a 2013 mine does.
I had to make sure I ordered the "Tow" package and specify the trans cooler when I ordered mine, mine is a 2012 thought. Hopefully they all come with a cooler.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NewOldSchool
I had to make sure I ordered the "Tow" package and specify the trans cooler when I ordered mine, mine is a 2012 thought. Hopefully they all come with a cooler.
He is saying he wants to tow so I am sure he does. I got the max tow package with mine thats why I have a trans cooler it seems.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:23 AM
JK Newbie

Default Tow Dolly!

I use to transport personal and company vehicles all over the country, when I started I would do the drive away service and found that transport was easier when I pulled the vehicle with my truck, I rented a tow dolly from a local rental place and just drug it back with me the first couple times then, I borrowed a friends trailer trailer for a couple of trips just getting a feel for what was going to be the best choice. I started out driving a 2000 dodge pu with a v6 (I was younger and dumber then) the trailer puts more weight and resistence on your tow vehicle and is alot harder on the tow vehicle, the tow dolly is designed to support that weight and keep it to just the rolling resistance which is much easier on your jeep and your knuckles while towing your wifes car ( I refuse to use the word Pr**s on a jeep forum as it might be sacrelidge) plus checking the u-haul site they will rent u a tow dolly for the trip but not a trailer. Good luck, Safe trip, and we will see y'all when you get here! Welcome to Texas!!!

Last edited by bepperson70; 09-25-2013 at 10:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Towing my wifes prius to texas from socal