Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Towing my JK behind diesel RV - tow bar/bumper options?

Old 03-30-2013, 09:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sQuid
I'm also considering a dirt bike hitch hauler for my Yamaha TW200 (almost 300lbs).

Would it better to mount this on the hitch of my jeep with a Joe Haulter/Mototote/Versahauler type hitch hauler or would I be better off mounting the hauler to the RV hitch with a pass through hitch to the jeep tow setup?

Would that be too many components or allow too much play in the setup? I want to be safe as possible. But having 300-400 lbs (With rack) hanging off back of jeep while towing doesn't seem ideal.

But I need to be able to carry the dirt bike on JUST the jeep once I'm setup at camp and ready to explore, so it has to be versatile.

Any thoughts on this or someone with a similar setup would be very helpful.

Anyone selling their hitch hauler with a pass thru hitch by chance?
I would mount my dirtbike on a Joe Hauler type rack on the back of the jeep. Those other type towbars that allow your bike behind the motorhome are super expensive!!!
Old 03-30-2013, 09:56 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK KIWI
Here is my Ready Brute setup!
What bumper do you have with Currie tow plate?
Old 03-30-2013, 12:39 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Freewill
One bolt-on solution is Roadmaster. They make a set of tow brackets that match up with one model of the MOPAR winch bumper.

Finally, some brake/tail/turn lights are needed on the Jeep. There are harnesses available with diodes so the stock lights can be used. I didn't want to connect anything to the Jeep's system so bought a pair of DOT-approved LED tail lights that screwed to the stock rear bumper and look great. Sorry, no photo.

Attachment 440268
I too didn't want to connect anything to the Jeep's system. I ran my harnesses inside the jeeps left frame rail connecting to the light bar adaptor that plugs into the jeeps receiver hitch. The rear lights show red to the rear and yellow to the front, which lights up the back of the jeep. It's so bright you don't need a lic plate light.

Last edited by 33 williys 77; 03-30-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:52 PM
JK Newbie

This is the LOD bumper with tabs welded on for a Roadmaster. I also have a Tomken bumper with the tabs on my TJ. I have pulled over 10 k miles with this set up and it works great. I use a brake buddy for braking. I would not pull a jeep without an auxiliary braking system of some kind. I can hook up or unhook in less than 5 minutes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3242864495.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	440442   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1714308929.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	440443  

Last edited by srodholm; 03-30-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

In process of setting up my '12 JK for flat tow .. I'm relatively new to flat towing but I purchased the Tomken Bumper with the Falcon All Terrain set up (took them over 3 wks for delivery) .. I'm having the wiring done next Monday..

I have the Brake Buddy for braking..
Old 04-23-2013, 11:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've towed my 07 all over the country with no issues. I previously used the Currie setup, which worked great. Since it sits low, you don't need as much drop in your hitch. After I installed the Smittybilt XRC front bumper, I welded up adapters to hook my A-frame hitch to the shackel mounts. I've used it this way for many thousands of miles. The only thing I had to change was the hitch on my RV. I use a 6" drop, turned upside down (so it raises the ball about 4.75" above the hitch height. That makes the A-frame sit just about level (Jeep has 4" lift).

For wiring, I simply ran a 4-wire from the front to the back of the Jeep. I opened up the tail lights and drilled them out internally for 12v snap in sockets. Now I just connect my 4-wire harness at the front of the Jeep and it looks like the factory bulbs in the tail lights are working, but it's really the sockets I added.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:02 PM
JK Newbie

If you're looking for an excuse to buy a real nice offroad bumper....... Roadmaster makes brackets to attach to the Rugged Ridge modular bumper. That's the one that can be built in many different configurations. The brackets replace the D-rings and the towbar connects to those on the front of the bumper. You can buy that bumper for about the cost of the baseplate setups that attach to the frame under the stock bumper. Here's a picture of that bumper on my 2011 before I replaced the D-rings with the brackets. Sorry but I don't have any pics of those but it is a nice way to go for flat towing your Jeep.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep 004.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	450272  

Quick Reply: Towing my JK behind diesel RV - tow bar/bumper options?