Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Towing my JK behind diesel RV - tow bar/bumper options?

Old 03-29-2013, 09:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T&ERun
Do you guys run a braking system for the towed vehicle or no?
We are suppose to run a braking system in Ca. I borrowed a brake buddy from a friend the first time I towed to Mammoth. I towed it to Lancaster last month without. I barely feel the jeep behind my motorhome.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cpthulk
We are suppose to run a braking system in Ca. I borrowed a brake buddy from a friend the first time I towed to Mammoth. I towed it to Lancaster last month without. I barely feel the jeep behind my motorhome.
Yeah I hear with my motorhome I won't feel it either way. How strict is CA or other states on the braking system? I may do a braking setup anyway just in case, if it's not too expensive.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sQuid
cool. sounds like the perfect setup for me. do you have pics of the base plate and towbar so I can see what condition things are in? also you have manuals, etc? how hard is it to hookup the brake system?

what is the monitoring thing that goes in the RV?
I can post a picture of the base plate in the morning, or this link Currie Enterprises CE-9033JK - Currie Enterprises Tow Bar Mounting Plate for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
My tow bar was used once for about 5 miles to test. I am selling my motorhome, so no longer need it. Yes I have the manual, and it is super easy to hook up. Your welcome to come and see it. Pm me!
Old 03-29-2013, 11:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is how I tow

Last edited by 33 williys 77; 03-30-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default towing JK behind diesel RV

I am using a M&G braking system on my JKU (proportional braking) for towing behind my 40' diesel RV....most states require a braking system on the towed vehicle over a certain weight....while you certainly can tow without one, (I have never been stopped and checked for one) should you be involved in an accident you could have a problem with your insurance coverage and be cited for "improper safety equipment" or something to that effect....just something to consider.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sullivan9162
I am using a M&G braking system on my JKU (proportional braking) for towing behind my 40' diesel RV....most states require a braking system on the towed vehicle over a certain weight....while you certainly can tow without one, (I have never been stopped and checked for one) should you be involved in an accident you could have a problem with your insurance coverage and be cited for "improper safety equipment" or something to that effect....just something to consider.
I agree!!!! This is true in california is well, your supposed to have braking for anything towed over 3000lbs. I towed my YJ for a while with no brakes and never had a problem. And Ive never heard of anyone in California having a problem.

That being said, the JKU is a heavy beast and would would def want brakes incase!
Old 03-30-2013, 07:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sQuid
Yeah I hear with my motorhome I won't feel it either way. How strict is CA or other states on the braking system? I may do a braking setup anyway just in case, if it's not too expensive.
You won't feel the Jeep back there. I never heard of anyone being stopped and checked for a breaking system. It would come down to if you got in an accident and not having it. The brake buddy runs around $1000 for the lowest model. Lots of systems out there. Break buddy is so easy my wife could set it up. Haha.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm also considering a dirt bike hitch hauler for my Yamaha TW200 (almost 300lbs).

Would it better to mount this on the hitch of my jeep with a Joe Haulter/Mototote/Versahauler type hitch hauler or would I be better off mounting the hauler to the RV hitch with a pass through hitch to the jeep tow setup?

Would that be too many components or allow too much play in the setup? I want to be safe as possible. But having 300-400 lbs (With rack) hanging off back of jeep while towing doesn't seem ideal.

But I need to be able to carry the dirt bike on JUST the jeep once I'm setup at camp and ready to explore, so it has to be versatile.

Any thoughts on this or someone with a similar setup would be very helpful.

Anyone selling their hitch hauler with a pass thru hitch by chance?
Old 03-30-2013, 09:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

One bolt-on solution is Roadmaster. They make a set of tow brackets that match up with one model of the MOPAR winch bumper.

Roadmaster makes very nice tow bars, but I find the receivers (brackets) a bit large. The brackets are standard 1 1/4" receivers. If I had it to do again, I'd get a winch bumper that could have the receivers built right into the bumper by a qualified fabricator.

The tow bar unhooks and folds up at the back of the RV. Then there is a crossbar left on the Jeep that can be removed from the brackets and stored under the RV. With a bit of ingenuity the crossbar could be eliminated because the steel bumper is strong enough to serve as the crossbar.

For brakes, I've used the US Gear Tow Brake on two different rigs. Its a great system. Can't tell its there, and it needs just one wire which can be integrated into an existing 7-pin umbilical cable. It has an adjustable proportional controller in the tow vehicle which provides feedback as to what the tow brake is doing. Has a break-away switch, of course.

Finally, some brake/tail/turn lights are needed on the Jeep. There are harnesses available with diodes so the stock lights can be used. I didn't want to connect anything to the Jeep's system so bought a pair of DOT-approved LED tail lights that screwed to the stock rear bumper and look great. Sorry, no photo.

After the tow system was installed, the Jeep was lifted 2.5". Didn't make enough difference to require any changes to the towbar/hitch system.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep 2012-02.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	440268
Old 03-30-2013, 09:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here is my Ready Brute setup!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-304832845.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	440274   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4078504298.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	440275  

Quick Reply: Towing my JK behind diesel RV - tow bar/bumper options?