Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Towing my JK behind diesel RV - tow bar/bumper options?

Old 03-29-2013, 12:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing my JK behind diesel RV - tow bar/bumper options?

I'm going to be flat towing my JK behind a diesel pusher RV. I'm looking at some of the towing options and one is the tow bar itself and you need a tow plate mounted to the jeep. Or apparently there are options for bumpers with shackles/mounts already built in?

What would be my better option here? I want to make sure it is heavy duty and reliable enough to be towing long distance in various terrains.

Is this a good time for an excuse to pick out a new front bumper?

Or are the tow plates / tow bar combos a better option?

For those of you who have done this, what setup are you running? Maybe recommendations on adjustable tow bar as well? I need to be able to easily connect/disconnect by myself.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:36 PM
JK Newbie

Look into the Currie tow plate. I put this on mine and it works great. It's more hidden than the Blue Ox base plate. Easy to install, did it in less than an hour by myself. I already had the Blue Ox tow bar from my TJ. I believe they make a tow bar that goes with the plate as well, or you can pretty much use any other tow bar. You just have to swap out the ends that they give you. I also did the Cool Tech wiring harness for the lights. Easy to install. I saved a lot of money with these two products by doing it myself.

Last edited by Cpthulk; 03-29-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cpthulk
Look into the Currie tow plate. I put this on mine and it works great. It's more hidden than the Blue Ox base plate. Easy to install, did it in less than an hour by myself. I already had the Blue Ox tow bar from my TJ. I believe they make a tow bar that goes with the plate as well, or you can pretty much use any other tow bar. You just have to swap out the ends that they give you. I also did the Cool Tech wiring harness for the lights. Easy to install. I saved a lot of money with these two products by doing it myself.

That's great! I saw your pics in another thread and it is hidden very well. Do you have any issue towing a lifted jeep? Mine is lifted 2" with 33" tires. Just wondering if I need to do anything special with hitch or tow bar to accomodate lift.

Thank you! I'm excited to get this setup on the road and really do some exploring!
Old 03-29-2013, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

LOD offroad will set any of their bumpers up with either Roadmaster or Blue ox. I ordered the mid width with a set up for the Roadmaster and it turned out really nice. If you do not see the option on their site give them a call. When I ordered a couple months ago they said they were going to try to get the option added. BTW they did not charge any extra for the added mounts. I can post a pic if you are interested.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Pics would be great! Thanks

Originally Posted by srodholm
LOD offroad will set any of their bumpers up with either Roadmaster or Blue ox. I ordered the mid width with a set up for the Roadmaster and it turned out really nice. If you do not see the option on their site give them a call. When I ordered a couple months ago they said they were going to try to get the option added. BTW they did not charge any extra for the added mounts. I can post a pic if you are interested.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sQuid
That's great! I saw your pics in another thread and it is hidden very well. Do you have any issue towing a lifted jeep? Mine is lifted 2" with 33" tires. Just wondering if I need to do anything special with hitch or tow bar to accomodate lift.

Thank you! I'm excited to get this setup on the road and really do some exploring!
No issues at all. I have a 2 1/2" with 33. For you tow bar, you want it level or slightly low on the hitch. You can adjust with drop hitch size. I have a Super C on 10000lb Kodiak chassis. It sits pretty high in the rear. I only need a couple inch drop.

The only draw back is if you want to get an after market bumper for a winch, etc. I haven't done a lot of research yet on what bumper would fit with the tow plate on. Probably gonna go with a winch plate on my stock stubby for now.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:44 PM
JK Newbie

Just noticed your in SD. If you ever want to check out what it looks like on my Jeep before you buy let me know.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you guys run a braking system for the towed vehicle or no?
Old 03-29-2013, 08:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have my tow bar for sale in San Diego. Its the Ready Brute rated at 8000lbs. Real easy to use. It runs the surge brake system to your brake pedal. I also have the Currie base plate for sale that bolts up under the bumper and keeps the towbar low. Check out my craigslist add.

Tow bar READY BRUTE 8000lb
Old 03-29-2013, 08:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

cool. sounds like the perfect setup for me. do you have pics of the base plate and towbar so I can see what condition things are in? also you have manuals, etc? how hard is it to hookup the brake system?

what is the monitoring thing that goes in the RV?

Originally Posted by JK KIWI
I have my tow bar for sale in San Diego. Its the Ready Brute rated at 8000lbs. Real easy to use. It runs the surge brake system to your brake pedal. I also have the Currie base plate for sale that bolts up under the bumper and keeps the towbar low. Check out my craigslist add.

Tow bar READY BRUTE 8000lb

Quick Reply: Towing my JK behind diesel RV - tow bar/bumper options?