Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Towing the Jeep with a tow dolly

Old 08-23-2013, 08:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Towing the Jeep with a tow dolly

I'd like to hear from guys that tow dolly their jeep behind a truck or motorhome. I just got my 1st motorhome and want to get a tow dolly to pull the jeep. I can flat tow it I know, but thought I may get a dolly in case I break something bad enough and unable to flat tow home. I'd hate to be 500 miles from home and break and be out of luck if I flat towed there. With my ATX slabs and my 37/13.50 mud grapplers I'm sitting about 84 inches wide. Most dollies I'm finding are about 82 inches wide. I'd like to see what others are running (what brand dolly and how wide). Thanks for any input.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:23 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Talk to your local dealership about the big caution in the owners manual.

CAUTION!
Front or rear wheel lifts should not be used. Internal
damage to the transmission or transfer case will occur
if a front or rear wheel lift is used when recreational
towing.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with your 37's I wouldn't recommend a dolly - better to flat tow or trailer tow.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Flat tow is the only way to go..
Old 08-24-2013, 03:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Get a Blue Ox Base Plate and Tow Bar and just flat tow it. Jeeps are the easiest vehicles made to flat tow!

Check out their web sight: Blue Ox
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo copy 2.jpg
Views:	951
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	491159  
Old 08-24-2013, 04:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Talk to your local dealership about the big caution in the owners manual.
Pulling the driveshaft fixes this. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm worried about being 700 miles from home in Colorado or Moab and breaking. If I go to wheel, I'm wheeling it, not babying it. I know I can take spare parts and fix on the go. I just want to be as prepared as I can be.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:14 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by T&ERun
Pulling the driveshaft fixes this. Thanks for the heads up.
The manual lists that for 2wd models without transfer cases. Hadn't actually thought about it for 4wd's, but pulling the rear shaft (when the front is lifted, or front when rear is lifted) may work as well? Though I'd be curious to know why the engineering folks didn't include that as an option for 4wd's.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default done it with a 1500 Ram

Originally Posted by nthinuf
The manual lists that for 2wd models without transfer cases. Hadn't actually thought about it for 4wd's, but pulling the rear shaft (when the front is lifted, or front when rear is lifted) may work as well? Though I'd be curious to know why the engineering folks didn't include that as an option for 4wd's.
...and you dont need to yank the DS. Put it in 3lo, neutral, and tranny in 4th gear... IIRC
Old 08-24-2013, 01:56 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by DeucesALLin
...and you dont need to yank the DS. Put it in 3lo, neutral, and tranny in 4th gear... IIRC
Which is different than what the manual says.

So the questions are : is the manual correct or incorrect with the caution about not towing on a dolly? Is the manual correct or incorrect about removing the rear driveshaft on 2wd models? Is the manual correct or incorrect about the procedure for flat towing?

Or is the manual completely wrong and your procedure is correct for any scenario?
Old 02-05-2014, 01:59 PM
JK Super Freak

What sorta breakage would u likely have on a trail ? (Not asking in a smart assway) I would imagine tierod, axle shaft or ball joint.... All those would be cheaper to fix at camp as opposed to spending $500+ on a dolly. If you broke anything else like a drive shaft, evap canister or busted an oil pan, you would still be able to flat tow it without issues. The only issue I can phantom with flat towing and breaking a tierod is death wobble in which case... I'm not even sure what I would do. Maybe take a measuring tape and take note of the distance between rim to rim and store it in your phone or write it in a paint pen on the wheel or tie rod?... just an idea... trying to save u the hassle of buying buying a dolly and having to store it when not in use

(Sorry didn't realize this was an old thread)

Quick Reply: Towing the Jeep with a tow dolly