Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Towing???

Old 05-10-2016, 07:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by crazybones340
well when you guys crash and kill someone for towing over the max tow rate the JK is listed for I hope you fools feel good about yourselves. Please tell your insurance guys I said hello as well. That is after he/she denies you any coverage for towing over the vehicles limit.Safe driving has flown out the window in this thread.
provide examples please. A couple years ago I started a thread for people to give real world examples of legal or insurance troubles caused by towing over the rated limit. None were reported. Look, physically the JKU can certainly tow more than 3500 pounds. It is artificially held low in the US. Most reliable info is that it is because the top and doors are not designed to protect the occupants. It's a convertible. The Liberty could be bought with 5000 pound rating. It is smaller, narrower, shorter, and has considerably less powerful engine. What's the difference? It's not a convertible. I'm not saying you are 100% wrong, but towing over the limit can certainly be done very safely. I know because I researched it and towed a 5000 pound trailer with my JKU. It was a safe tow when the proper precautions were taken.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:40 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by DougHeffernan
Cool, if the factory did the flip it should be okay. I have a single axle so that's the urgency to try and get a better tire under it, the flip has the camper level with my lifted jeep now so I'm going to try a shake down trip next week. I wished they had longer mirror extensions. I having trouble seeing behind my camper. Which ones everyone is using. I'm trying these. Reese tow power 72787. Anyone ever experimented with adapting anything like mopar tow mirrors
I agree on the mirrors I have RR extensions but could use more I'm going to look into setting up a backup camera for better rear visibility
Old 05-10-2016, 07:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
I agree on the mirrors I have RR extensions but could use more I'm going to look into setting up a backup camera for better rear visibility
I tried the suction mount mirrors from Walmart. They didn't work. I was also afraid they would brake my actual mirror since they are suctioned right to that glass.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a good idea. Never even thought about doing that.

Last edited by DougHeffernan; 05-10-2016 at 01:44 PM.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:51 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by crazybones340
well when you guys crash and kill someone for towing over the max tow rate the JK is listed for I hope you fools feel good about yourselves. Please tell your insurance guys I said hello as well. That is after he/she denies you any coverage for towing over the vehicles limit.Safe driving has flown out the window in this thread.
I agree any fool that drives a modified wrangle on the highway is a danger to society. Larger tires,lifts, aftermarket bumpers etc could all be contributing factors if a crash were to occur.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hilarious, sadly the world is not all pillows and pumpkin spice lattes gentleman.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:08 AM
JK Newbie

What backup camera kit are you looking to use? I already have one on the jeep itself but think it would be useful on the trailer.

Also what mirrors are you using?
Old 05-27-2016, 02:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I found a mirror solution. The CIPA bar mirrors model 11980. They have really good extension and less vibration than my two previous Reese tow mirrors.
Pretty good reviews all around with only 1 person saying one side fell off but I can't see how that is possible. They really clamped on well but just in case I'm going to put a safety strap or zip tie.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2490172154.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	648057  

Quick Reply: Towing???