Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Towing???

Old 03-25-2016, 04:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't want to tow regularly but just used the two door to tow my 2500lb camper and it worked well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-520575156.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	523.4 KB
ID:	641829
Old 03-26-2016, 12:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just use caution...

I will agree, the JKU is very capable of towing more than it is rated for. But I would highly recommend a brake controller and a weight distribution hitch. I have towed my 19" hybrid travel trailer multiple times which its dry weight is 3500lbs but is realistically closer to 4500-5000lbs when loaded. I generally have all my tanks mostly empty but with 2 full propane bottles and everything need for a family of 4 plus a 85lbs dog for a long weekend trip to the beach it adds up.

The Jeep does great towing it, heck it gets better mileage towing it then my wife's Tahoe. You definitely know it's there with the Jeep and I am not sure I would take it into the mountains but up and down the east coast which is moderately flat it does fine.

Old 05-08-2016, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jadmt
just bought this and my wife and I are going to live in it for 5 or 6 months as of April 4. I went with the prodigy P3 and other than having to be a contortionist to hook up the cold brake sensor it was a piece of cake to install. the P3's were the same price as the P2's on Amazon a couple of days ago and also store when not in use. I also did the Mopar factory harness which is plug and play.
Looks like you did a over/under axle conversion.
I just flipped my axle so I could put a larger 10 ply tire but I'm having second doubts after seeing how high it came out. I'm worried about it being top heavy. How does yours tow and any rocking with high wind, trucks passing or exit ramps?
Old 05-09-2016, 10:14 AM
JK Newbie

Default Towing

European JK's have BR6 big brakes for the 4400lb towing. Liberty in US has the BR6 option. Wranglers do not have that option. You can order the big brake kit from dealer and have it installed as I did recently. 2012 JKUR. Stock 17 in rims did not fit over calipers (some do and some don't). So I put on 18 in worx 9 in with 275x65 BFG KO2's. Rides a lot smoother and stops better. Does pull left or right some times-have not figured out cause yet.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:50 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by DougHeffernan
Looks like you did a over/under axle conversion.
I just flipped my axle so I could put a larger 10 ply tire but I'm having second doubts after seeing how high it came out. I'm worried about it being top heavy. How does yours tow and any rocking with high wind, trucks passing or exit ramps?
So far so good. Jayco does the axle flip on them from the factory as part of the Baja package
Old 05-09-2016, 05:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Wikingprinz
European JK's have BR6 big brakes for the 4400lb towing. Liberty in US has the BR6 option. Wranglers do not have that option. You can order the big brake kit from dealer and have it installed as I did recently. 2012 JKUR. Stock 17 in rims did not fit over calipers (some do and some don't). So I put on 18 in worx 9 in with 275x65 BFG KO2's. Rides a lot smoother and stops better. Does pull left or right some times-have not figured out cause yet.
can you let us know the source of this information for European jku having bigger brakes. I spent many hours researching jku towing before I bought mine in 2012. I've also been following all towing threads on this forum for 4 yrs and have never seen this mentioned before. I want to believe you, but cannot unless I see a good reliable source for this information.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:13 PM
JK Newbie

Default Towing

Tried to download UK jeep literature but they wanted my info first. Jeep UK site show jeep wrangles with heavy duty brakes as standard. Interesting their jeeps come standard with 255/70/18 rims and tires. Looked at German jeep site and checked out their diesel wranglers. Will to find where I saw the larger brakes as standard on export. I know Jeeps had dana 60's in the rear for the Egyptian army. We did not get those here.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:14 AM
JK Newbie

Default Mopar Big Brake Kit

wrangler forum.com has articles from last year about br6 and current big brake kit.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jadmt
So far so good. Jayco does the axle flip on them from the factory as part of the Baja package
Cool, if the factory did the flip it should be okay. I have a single axle so that's the urgency to try and get a better tire under it, the flip has the camper level with my lifted jeep now so I'm going to try a shake down trip next week. I wished they had longer mirror extensions. I having trouble seeing behind my camper. Which ones everyone is using. I'm trying these. Reese tow power 72787. Anyone ever experimented with adapting anything like mopar tow mirrors
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1059327014.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	646618  

Last edited by DougHeffernan; 05-10-2016 at 03:00 AM.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:16 AM
JK Newbie

well when you guys crash and kill someone for towing over the max tow rate the JK is listed for I hope you fools feel good about yourselves. Please tell your insurance guys I said hello as well. That is after he/she denies you any coverage for towing over the vehicles limit.Safe driving has flown out the window in this thread.

Quick Reply: Towing???