Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Towing???

Old 03-24-2016, 06:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing???

I have a 2015 Unlimited Sport, 3.5 in lift 35 in. tires, 373 gears, 6 speed and trailer brakes installed. I used to tow my little pop-up camper with no problem. I just got a new 15 ft. travel trailer, only 2500 lbs. Do I have any need to be concerned about towing this with my JK???

Last edited by mikehd666; 03-24-2016 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikehd666
I have a 2015 Unlimited Sport, 3.5 in lift 35 in. tires, 373 gears, 6 speed and trailer brakes installed. I used to tow my little pop-up camper with no problem. I just got a new 15 ft. travel trailer, only 2500 lbs. Do I have any need to be concerned about towing this with my JK???
You shouldn't have any issues just keep in mind by the time you load up the trailer, water, gear, etc. your going to be pushing you max tow of 3k. There is a bit of built in fudge factor on the max limit but folks tend to ignore those limits and it can get you in trouble with handling as well as accelerated wear and tear in the long run. I have pulled my 16' deck over atv trailer with my 6 spd 3:73 geared 2 door JK with no problems but there again I am loaded well within the Jeeps max tow. Gross ratings are listed for your safety.
Old 03-25-2016, 02:15 PM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

I've probably towed a heavier load than 99% of the folks on here. I've towed a 5000 pound toy hauler all around in NJ, PA, VA, and NC. I have 2012 JKU sport with manual trans and 3.73 gears. I've covered well over 5000 miles of towing. Bottom line: it can do it if you take the proper precautions. Trailer brakes. Brake controller. Weight distribution hitch. Anti sway bar. Drive responsibly. In addition, I upgraded the rear bumper to smittybilt XRC which is rated for 5000 pounds. Makes a tremendous improvement over stock receiver when using the weight distribution hitch. I can't comment on whether your lift will have an impact. I kept my JKU basically stock.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3259123170.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	582.5 KB
ID:	641819  
Old 03-25-2016, 02:19 PM
JK Junkie

I'll add this: the rating of only 3500 pounds is stupid. The same JKU is rated for as much as 4400 pounds in other countries. The general theory in the US is that the jeep is considered a convertible, hence the low rating. Remember the placard above your head - the doors and top do not protect you. Consider this: you can get a Jeep Liberty rated for 5000. It's lighter, skinnier, shorter wheel base, and less powerful engine. IT MAKES NO SENSE.
Old 03-25-2016, 02:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Its-a-JK
You shouldn't have any issues just keep in mind by the time you load up the trailer, water, gear, etc. your going to be pushing you max tow of 3k. There is a bit of built in fudge factor on the max limit but folks tend to ignore those limits and it can get you in trouble with handling as well as accelerated wear and tear in the long run. I have pulled my 16' deck over atv trailer with my 6 spd 3:73 geared 2 door JK with no problems but there again I am loaded well within the Jeeps max tow. Gross ratings are listed for your safety.
Thanks for your input Thankyou
Old 03-25-2016, 02:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
I've probably towed a heavier load than 99% of the folks on here. I've towed a 5000 pound toy hauler all around in NJ, PA, VA, and NC. I have 2012 JKU sport with manual trans and 3.73 gears. I've covered well over 5000 miles of towing. Bottom line: it can do it if you take the proper precautions. Trailer brakes. Brake controller. Weight distribution hitch. Anti sway bar. Drive responsibly. In addition, I upgraded the rear bumper to smittybilt XRC which is rated for 5000 pounds. Makes a tremendous improvement over stock receiver when using the weight distribution hitch. I can't comment on whether your lift will have an impact. I kept my JKU basically stock.
Good deal thank you
Old 03-25-2016, 02:59 PM
JK Junkie

I recommend Prodigy 2 brake controller. Very limited space to put a controller in the jeep the prodigy 2 allows it to be unplugged and stored when not needed.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:57 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

just bought this and my wife and I are going to live in it for 5 or 6 months as of April 4. I went with the prodigy P3 and other than having to be a contortionist to hook up the cold brake sensor it was a piece of cake to install. the P3's were the same price as the P2's on Amazon a couple of days ago and also store when not in use. I also did the Mopar factory harness which is plug and play.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:09 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jadmt
just bought this and my wife and I are going to live in it for 5 or 6 months as of April 4. I went with the prodigy P3 and other than having to be a contortionist to hook up the cold brake sensor it was a piece of cake to install. the P3's were the same price as the P2's on Amazon a couple of days ago and also store when not in use. I also did the Mopar factory harness which is plug and play.
Looks nice. I see you don't have weight distribution hitch. If you ever feel like your headlights are pointing too high and the front end feels floaty, you will benefit from a weight dist hitch.
Old 03-25-2016, 04:25 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Looks nice. I see you don't have weight distribution hitch. If you ever feel like your headlights are pointing too high and the front end feels floaty, you will benefit from a weight dist hitch.
dry tongue weight is only 260lbs and it did not cause my back to drop very much at all surprisingly enough but I know when loaded it will be more. I plan on getting wdh at some point tho. I was surprised at how easy it towed. I did not even know it was back there. I had read all the horror stories but I have a 14 with 4.10 auto and it never even shifted down going up a 55 mph hill just maintained the speed. I would however have liked to get the smallest version of this but we are going to be living in it for 5 or 6 months while we build so this was the absolute smallest I could go.

Quick Reply: Towing???