Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Towing

Old 03-11-2013, 08:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing

Getting ready to make a long excursion in a 2 door, 2012 JK with 3.73 gearing and a Curt class lll hitch. I will be pulling a 1900 lb, 13 ft trailer that has a sway bar installed. Should I make any changes to the JK (that won't break the bank) that will make this journey less stressful on the jeep? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tumblehome
Getting ready to make a long excursion in a 2 door, 2012 JK with 3.73 gearing and a Curt class lll hitch. I will be pulling a 1900 lb, 13 ft trailer that has a sway bar installed. Should I make any changes to the JK (that won't break the bank) that will make this journey less stressful on the jeep? Thanks in advance.
Just keep it under control, not too fast. I tow 2000 lbs with my '08 2DR and it handles it well. I added an auto trans cooler but having a 2012, I believe you already have one if you went with the auto.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3028341459.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	432571  
Old 03-11-2013, 09:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Auto= Tranny cooler for sure

I use 75w140 Amsoil Synthetic Severe Gear in the rear diff for towing.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes sir, 2012 -2013 automatic come with transmission cooler. And take it slow. The Jeep will do fine
Old 03-11-2013, 10:02 AM
JK Newbie

Default towing suggestions

Thanks for the responses. I do have the automatic. Do you think the factory shocks/suspension are up to the task, will there be sagging issues?
Old 03-12-2013, 06:40 AM
JK Newbie

You should be fine, but towing with the 2dr sucks. I highly recommend trailer brakes.

I know there is cost involved, and alot of people will say "aw hell, you don't need nun-o-that crap!" but it could save your rig and trailer (maybe even life?) from an accident.

Story time! I was towing a 1800 lb trailer from Phoenix to Ogden, UT and I had upgraded the small trailer to have brakes. I was in a 2011 Ram 2500. Easy peasy tow, right? Well, I hit some unexpected ice along the way and started to slide. Truck brakes did very little and I started to spin. Luckily, I had the trailer brakes and manually engaged them and let off on the truck. The increased friction from the rear pulled me straight, allowing me to then stop using the truck.

I tow everyday with my JKUR and a 1800 lb trailer. I know that's fairly light but I'm sure that trailer brake has saved my butt several times, especially in rain/snow.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:44 AM
JK Freak

The springs and shocks will be fine just don't be surprised if the rear of your Jeep drops an inch or so after putting the load of trailer onto the hitch.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:50 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by cis911
Yes sir, 2012 -2013 automatic come with transmission cooler. And take it slow. The Jeep will do fine
I don't think they all do. Only if you get the towing package will it come with cooler. When i bought my '12, I noticed that most on the lot did not have the towing package added to them. Mine and another one were the only ones that had it. Towing package was only a couple of hundred dollars more, but well worth the price in my opinion. I looked for a few months until i found the my crush with all the options on it, including the towing package.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:23 AM
JK Newbie

I pull a 16' landscape type trailer for work somewhat often. I know a few times it`s been over the stated max load. I have a jku w/ 1/34 lift on it using a curt hitch w/ a brake controller. You will drop atleast 1-3 inch`s from the load. Try and load front/center, not all of it on the hitch but more importantly not heavy on the rear. Just go slow, if you start to sway, let off on the gas. As for the brake controller, unless you tow alot of heavy loads it`s a waste of money. Mine is so sensitive it locks up the trailer if I dont have a load. Maybe the big buck ones are better but honestly I doubt it`s worth it unless you tow alot.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:43 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by boxcar
I pull a 16' landscape type trailer for work somewhat often. I know a few times it`s been over the stated max load. I have a jku w/ 1/34 lift on it using a curt hitch w/ a brake controller. You will drop atleast 1-3 inch`s from the load. Try and load front/center, not all of it on the hitch but more importantly not heavy on the rear. Just go slow, if you start to sway, let off on the gas. As for the brake controller, unless you tow alot of heavy loads it`s a waste of money. Mine is so sensitive it locks up the trailer if I dont have a load. Maybe the big buck ones are better but honestly I doubt it`s worth it unless you tow alot.
U can get trailer brakes that are adjustable so u can control how much they grab, and if u have no load u can adjust it so it won't skid like u say

Quick Reply: Towing