Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tow Hooks rear bumper mod?

Old 07-10-2011, 06:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow Hooks rear bumper mod?

So I've replaced my front stock bumper with a stubby. On the rear I only have a hitch with a shackle which probably suffices. Is there anyone who has taken their back stock bumper off that knows if I can modify it to add the tow hooks that came off the front until I get an aftermarket rear? I'm having a heck of a time finding the M12 1.5 x 110mm bolts used to attach the hook on the back drivers side as my hitch didn't come with the bolts from the stealership.....Side note about that...
When I emailed them and asked why it didn't come with the bolts, they replied they were the standard 8 inch bolt that I could find at any hardware store...
But I digress. Any thoughts?
Old 07-10-2011, 10:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah like karls10jk said the rear stock bumper is a plastic POS that probably doesn't even weigh 20 lbs! You definitely don't want to mount any tow hooks to it.

To be honest I'm surprised that rear bumper is legal with all the crash safety testing vehicle manufacturers have to do these days.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Agreed the stock bumpers are useless and somewhat fugly..
I guess what I meant was attaching them to the rear like they were in the front. although after thinking about them they would get in the way of the trunk opening
I was just trying to think of other applications for them. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

The tow hitch mount recovery point is a good option though.

Quick Reply: Tow Hooks rear bumper mod?