Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tow Bar using D-Ring Brackets

Old 01-08-2011, 07:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow Bar using D-Ring Brackets

I need a tow bar that will work with the D-Ring brackets already on my front bumper. It’s a Rock Hard 4X4 bumper with D-Ring brackets mounted vertically right where the bumper bolts to the frame. They are super strong and should work OK for towing. Anyone seen a tow bar that could be attached to the brackets instead of adding a base plate or welding on additional brackets of some kind?

(I know a picture would help but I could not figure out how to insert one. Sorry)

Thanks!
Old 01-08-2011, 07:55 AM
Former Member

I'd like to do the same thing with my Shrockworks mid width. There's got to be something out there that doesn't require additional brackets. Even as far as that goes there may be a tow bar that sells with brackets using the same size pins as the mounts on the bumper and just put away the new ones. Hasn't been urgent enough to look it up yet.
I'll probably be using the 'Cool Tech' tow harness for the JK when I do get around to it.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:57 AM
JK Super Freak

If you search on various websites, I've seen this

Warrior Products Tow Bar D-Ring Adapter Brackets
Tow Bar Adapter Brackets allow the adaptation of Warrior Tow Bars to its bumper systems, and in particular, those bumpers that have mounts for D-Rings. Both kits come with the same hardware featured below, but differ in the D-Ring hole diameter they fit; #865 fits ¾”, while the #867 fits 7/8” holes. To avert mis-shipped sizes, it is strongly recommended of customers to measure the hole diameter of their D-rings before ordering.

92012.1502 865 3/4" D-Ring Hole $59.99

92012.1503 867 7/8" D-Ring Hole $66.99
Old 01-08-2011, 10:05 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by 101gargoyles
I'd like to do the same thing with my Shrockworks mid width. ....
Something that is worth pointing out: The Shrockworks mounting tabs for D-rings are significantly stronger than pretty much anyone else. I've looked at quite a few bumpers, and other brands cut a hole in the bumper, then weld a piece of metal into that hole that can be inserted from front or back. The Shrockworks is actually a piece of billet that is enlarged in the back, fitted from the back, then welded around that enlarged portion on the back of the bumper, as well as around where it fits through on the front of the bumper (picture here). Unlike other brands of bumpers, it cannot be fitted from the front, and it cannot be pulled out from the front (short of deforming that solid billet).

Personally, I'd be concerned about towing a JK using some of the D-ring tabs I've seen. I would not have such a worry with the Shrockworks bumper. Having said that, let me also add that in four years on this forum I've never heard of anyone having a tab fail.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:24 AM
JK Freak

I have the Warrior product, cheap and easy solution.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have LOD bumpers. The front is a mid width. LOD made me a base plate that connects to the D ring tabs with 1" pins. The base plate attaches to a Blue Ox 10,000 # tow bar. Works great with my 2011 Rubi unlimited. LOD made it at NO CHARGE with the bumper. They are great.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:06 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Enclocal
If you search on various websites, I've seen this

Warrior Products Tow Bar D-Ring Adapter Brackets
Tow Bar Adapter Brackets allow the adaptation of Warrior Tow Bars to its bumper systems, and in particular, those bumpers that have mounts for D-Rings. Both kits come with the same hardware featured below, but differ in the D-Ring hole diameter they fit; #865 fits ¾”, while the #867 fits 7/8” holes. To avert mis-shipped sizes, it is strongly recommended of customers to measure the hole diameter of their D-rings before ordering.

92012.1502 865 3/4" D-Ring Hole $59.99

92012.1503 867 7/8" D-Ring Hole $66.99

Has anyone tried these with a Poison Spyder Brawler? The D-ring tabs are mounted pointing up. Wondering if they would still work, and if that tilt effects the strength any.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a Roadmaster setup to tow the Jeep. It works great, and folds up against the tow-vehicle's back bumper when not in use.

My Roadmaster setup uses a pair of 1-1/4" receivers that bolt to the bottom of my winch bumper. If I could do it over, I would have the receivers fabricated into the bumper so the bolt-ons would not be in the way.

I also like the looks of the tow setup in the picture above, except that I want my tow bar to disconnect from the Jeep instead of detaching from the tow vehicle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5579 crop.jpg
Views:	1506
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	236701
Old 11-14-2011, 10:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RLW007
I have LOD bumpers. The front is a mid width. LOD made me a base plate that connects to the D ring tabs with 1" pins. The base plate attaches to a Blue Ox 10,000 # tow bar. Works great with my 2011 Rubi unlimited. LOD made it at NO CHARGE with the bumper. They are great.

Can you post photos of this set up...I have a Blue Ox Tow bar and want to upgrade to an after market front bumper and I like LOD...
Old 11-15-2011, 06:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

To bad your far from me I would sell you my tow bar. Had mine welded up and made to fit my d rings on my LOD. Changed my bumper to PSC BFH and also trailer queen now.

Quick Reply: Tow Bar using D-Ring Brackets