Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Total Noob Question

Old 01-06-2015, 05:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Total Noob Question

Sorry for such a noob question lol but I have a sport wrangler with 35's and I'm not totally sure of all the benefits of having it regeared as people say to do. Can someone explain?
Old 01-06-2015, 06:21 AM
JK Freak

I am no expert by any means, however the regearing is so it will get out of its own way. the lower gearing numbers like 3.21 are more for better MPG by the factory. but the higher gears give more torque which is desirable for wheeling and also better for getting the bigger heavier tires moving a little quicker, so less lag when pulling out and so on. Do you know what gears you currently have?
I'm sure more will chime in with more technical info
Old 01-06-2015, 06:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by trouty33
I am no expert by any means, however the regearing is so it will get out of its own way. the lower gearing numbers like 3.21 are more for better MPG by the factory. but the higher gears give more torque which is desirable for wheeling and also better for getting the bigger heavier tires moving a little quicker, so less lag when pulling out and so on. Do you know what gears you currently have?
I'm sure more will chime in with more technical info
So i'm guessing i'd gain some MPG if I regear? I still have factory gearing. It's my daily driver but I take it off-road time to time since its brand new so i'm still babying it lol

Last edited by SubtleShot; 01-06-2015 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:31 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SubtleShot
So i'm guessing i'd gain some MPG if I regear? I still have factory gearing. It's my daily driver but I take it off-road time to time since its brand new so i'm still babying it lol
I don't think you will gain any MPG, but better response from the skinny pedal. Also it will be much better on hills and mountains for accelerating. As for off road you will have overall better response.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:35 AM
JK Freak

Assuming it is a new jeep? Do you know what gears came with it? Is it a manual or auto. This will help determine what you may or may not need.

Usually when you run bigger tires you want bigger gears. I have a 2012 rubi, I have 4:10 gears and run 35s with a manual. This runs really strong, but if you have 35s on 3:21 gears with an auto and live in the mountains you may want to regear. Bottom line is do you feel your jeep is a turtle? If not, then you are good to go, but if you want better acceleration and highway speed then there are many threads on what gears you may want to go to.

Hope that helps....

Last edited by 2BAJeep; 01-06-2015 at 07:39 AM.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:09 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

First, you need to know what gears are in your Jeep. Since you bought a new Sport, it's probably geared pretty high and you can probably trust what was on your window sticker, or contact Jeep directly and get a build sheet for your Jeep (owners of used Jeeps usually have no idea since they don't know what the previous owner did--they'll have to jack up the Jeep and count driveshaft revs as they turn a wheel). As alluded to earlier, optimal gearing will give better gas mileage, but gearing is very balanced, at the factory, and your Jeep is no longer factory (lift, tires, etc). So, you probably are not geared for optimum MPG. However, very, very rare does anyone on this forum reagear and claim they improved their gas mileage, and the rest of us when someone does do that just shake our heads in disbelief. So, don't expect to improve your gas mileage.

About 99.99999999999999% of the time people regear because their Jeep's engine isn't up to the task once they've added weight, lift, tires, etc. They need a little bit more pep out of the beast. And regearing can give you that. At the expense 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the time of gas mileage. Oh, and top speed--but Jeep weren't built for speed so most of us don't worry much over that. Regearing also depends on your transmission (auto or six speed). There are charts to help you choose a better gear ratio--but that ignore gas mileage (if you're worried about that, go buy something else or at least stop modding and stick to stock and also never go above 65 MPH).

If you do regear (bigger number, such as 4.88 vice 3.73), you'll notice that your Jeep does seem "faster", because it is putting more toque down at the rear wheels. That means acceleration will improve, and the ability to hold a speed will be better (such as when driving uphill into a headwind while heavily loaded). But, you'll also notice that your engine is turning a lot faster (RPMs) when driving on the Interstate. In my case, I turn 3,000 RPMs at 70 MPH.

I'd recommend that you drive your Jeep in various conditions before jumping into the regear bandwagon. See how it feels. The Pentastar is a lot different, and more powerful, motor than my 3.8L van-o-motor. And the new auto transmission, if that's what you have, is better than the previous generation. So, give it a chance. If you decide that you'd like some more pep out of the engine, these charts may prove informative ...

[write-up] Jeep Wrangler JK Gearing Charts - Write-ups and Reviews - Tennessee Jeeps
Old 01-06-2015, 09:26 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
First, you need to know what gears are in your Jeep. Since you bought a new Sport, it's probably geared pretty high and you can probably trust what was on your window sticker, or contact Jeep directly and get a build sheet for your Jeep (owners of used Jeeps usually have no idea since they don't know what the previous owner did--they'll have to jack up the Jeep and count driveshaft revs as they turn a wheel). As alluded to earlier, optimal gearing will give better gas mileage, but gearing is very balanced, at the factory, and your Jeep is no longer factory (lift, tires, etc). So, you probably are not geared for optimum MPG. However, very, very rare does anyone on this forum reagear and claim they improved their gas mileage, and the rest of us when someone does do that just shake our heads in disbelief. So, don't expect to improve your gas mileage.

About 99.99999999999999% of the time people regear because their Jeep's engine isn't up to the task once they've added weight, lift, tires, etc. They need a little bit more pep out of the beast. And regearing can give you that. At the expense 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the time of gas mileage. Oh, and top speed--but Jeep weren't built for speed so most of us don't worry much over that. Regearing also depends on your transmission (auto or six speed). There are charts to help you choose a better gear ratio--but that ignore gas mileage (if you're worried about that, go buy something else or at least stop modding and stick to stock and also never go above 65 MPH).

If you do regear (bigger number, such as 4.88 vice 3.73), you'll notice that your Jeep does seem "faster", because it is putting more toque down at the rear wheels. That means acceleration will improve, and the ability to hold a speed will be better (such as when driving uphill into a headwind while heavily loaded). But, you'll also notice that your engine is turning a lot faster (RPMs) when driving on the Interstate. In my case, I turn 3,000 RPMs at 70 MPH.

I'd recommend that you drive your Jeep in various conditions before jumping into the regear bandwagon. See how it feels. The Pentastar is a lot different, and more powerful, motor than my 3.8L van-o-motor. And the new auto transmission, if that's what you have, is better than the previous generation. So, give it a chance. If you decide that you'd like some more pep out of the engine, these charts may prove informative ...

[write-up] Jeep Wrangler JK Gearing Charts - Write-ups and Reviews - Tennessee Jeeps
Very well explained! Yea I live in an area thats basically flat. I have an automatic as well. Im not worried about speed of mpg since i basically downgraded from that with my old vehicle but it was well worth it. I just feel like it could use a little bit more get up and go since I put the tires and lift on it. Getting up to 70mph on the interstate is always a challenge haha but by no means is it a problem, just preference.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:40 AM
JK Freak

And there is the better explanation I was talking about.... You have just met the YODA of The JK world!! Mark is an amazing reference on ALL things JK!!
Old 01-06-2015, 10:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by trouty33
And there is the better explanation I was talking about.... You have just met the YODA of The JK world!! Mark is an amazing reference on ALL things JK!!
I see that! lol I am just a young padawan in this great world of Jeeps
Old 01-06-2015, 03:22 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

When your tire height increased, the rpm's decreased. Regearing simply raises the rpm's to offset the new tire height. Higher rpm = more HP/Torque. What specific rpm range you want to be in will depend on location/build/usage/preference/etc.

Measure your tires (measured, not mfg spec) and plug some numbers into the chart in that link. (those are the same charts that are in the FAQ's stuck right to the top of this modified area...)

Mileage gains/losses can vary, depending on the specifics. Bigger tires/lift/added weight/etc will cause a drop. If you are under-geared, the engine may be lugging, and re-gearing may actually improve the mpg's. You will read conflicting opinions on it.

Quick Reply: Total Noob Question