Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

torque wrench

Old 07-24-2008, 08:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First rule of torque without a torque wrench.

"Keep on turning till the turning gets easy. Then you know you've done all you can."

Buy a beam type from Sears.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SH0RTBUS
This post is wrong in so many ways.
Feel free to enlighten everyone then. I only work on cars and trucks for a living with approx. $30,000 invested in Snap On tools with a CSI over 99%. However, I'm always ready to learn new tips and techniques so I'd like to hear anything you might have to say...
Old 07-25-2008, 10:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JulietKilo
You know that they make reverse threaded bolts and nuts right? Not everything is righty tighty lefty loosey.
Oh yeah. I through you were just being funny.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zylfrax791
Feel free to enlighten everyone then. I only work on cars and trucks for a living with approx. $30,000 invested in Snap On tools with a CSI over 99%. However, I'm always ready to learn new tips and techniques so I'd like to hear anything you might have to say...

Your original post works for me. I've never had a problem using anti-seize on lugs. I haven't had the need to use it on newer vehicles, but I always put it on trailers, my old FJ-40, and a couple of trucks. That's the only thing I could see that you said that might scare people.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:02 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Over 99%, huh? 99% over what period of time? Are you saying that's your lifetime customer service index? Puhhleeze. If so, that would make you the best mechanic whose ever lived....bar none. I'm not knockin you here.....I'm sure you're good. Probably better than good. But I think you need to reassess your numbers.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:02 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by berg

"Keep on turning till the turning gets easy. Then you know you've done all you can."
I've shared your comment with the "Fastener" guys in the office. Without a doubt one of the funniest comments made this year.

Y
Old 07-25-2008, 12:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Over 99%, huh? 99% over what period of time? Are you saying that's your lifetime customer service index? Puhhleeze. If so, that would make you the best mechanic whose ever lived....bar none. I'm not knockin you here.....I'm sure you're good. Probably better than good. But I think you need to reassess your numbers.
Sorry you misunderstood. I'm not a mechanic, never claimed to be one although I do mechanical in the course of my duties. I'm an Auto Body Tech. Anyways, been at my current shop for 4 years now with very few comebacks. Same with the other main shop which was a Ford Dealership where I was for 10 years. Its cause I take my time I guess. I'm not the fastest in the world but then again I don't want someones car falling apart while its going down the road or when the car gets hit again in the quarter panel that I replaced I don't want it flying off because I chose to glue it on instead of replacing every single factory weld. Meticulous I guess...
Old 07-26-2008, 12:24 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry you misunderstood. I'm not a mechanic, never claimed to be one although I do mechanical in the course of my duties. I'm an Auto Body Tech. Anyways, been at my current shop for 4 years now with very few comebacks. Same with the other main shop which was a Ford Dealership where I was for 10 years. Its cause I take my time I guess. I'm not the fastest in the world but then again I don't want someones car falling apart while its going down the road or when the car gets hit again in the quarter panel that I replaced I don't want it flying off because I chose to glue it on instead of replacing every single factory weld. Meticulous I guess...

I hear you, slick....and that's how to do it. Consistancy over speed works every time.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Invest in a torque wrench, the parts you depend on being right are the ones that seperate a good day and a hospital stay or worse. Ask yourself a question when taking any short cut would I let my wife drive it and my kids ride in it. Mine will always be NO!!!! do it right and tight the first time.

Quick Reply: torque wrench