Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

torn driveshaft boot

Old 12-10-2011, 10:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default torn driveshaft boot

So I guess this is the torn front cv boot everyone is talking about. I'll order a replacement today but is it safe to drive like this for a while?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111210_140001.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	248045   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111210_140026.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	248046  
Old 12-10-2011, 10:13 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

That covers the slip joint where the two halves of the driveshaft slide in/out. The boot isn't a huge deal. Zip tie it back on or just rip it off. But, you need to crawl underneath and make sure that you just ripped that boot, and the driveshaft is not coming into contact with the corner of the tranny pan itself. With enough contact, you can bash in the corner or split the lip.

The joint to worry about is at the tcase end of the shaft, watch for a ring grease above it.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
That covers the slip joint where the two halves of the driveshaft slide in/out. The boot isn't a huge deal. Zip tie it back on or just rip it off. But, you need to crawl underneath and make sure that you just ripped that boot, and the driveshaft is not coming into contact with the corner of the tranny pan itself. With enough contact, you can bash in the corner or split the lip.

The joint to worry about is at the tcase end of the shaft, watch for a ring grease above it.
now that makes sense, as I was focused on the 'boot' aspect and trying to figure out where the cv joint was in there. I did notice some contact had indeed been made on the tranny pan. Must have been on my last wheeling trip.

Is it safe to assume that for normal daily driving I am fine, but if I wheel a lot more I really need to keep an eye on it and/or just replace the DS with an after market one?

thanks for the quick response.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mines been like that since the Tata run in August. I pulled off the loose pieces and every now and then I use a needle adapter to shoot some grease inside the slip joint.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:28 AM
JK Super Freak

so the boot itself isn't an issue from the sounds of it, I just need to watch the contact with the tranny pan and in the meantime research more about coast drive shafts.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by finnd1
so the boot itself isn't an issue from the sounds of it, I just need to watch the contact with the tranny pan and in the meantime research more about coast drive shafts.
Did you do this at our Turkey crawl???
Old 12-10-2011, 10:40 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Is it safe to assume that for normal daily driving I am fine, but if I wheel a lot more I really need to keep an eye on it and/or just replace the DS with an after market one?
Yep, you are totally fine for daily driving. If the torn boot starts slapping, zip tie or tape or rip it off. (but clean the gunk out and grease the splines as part of your regular maintenance). Offroad, don't disconnect until you get around to replacing with a thinner shaft. That 'should' keep the driveshaft out of contact.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Battlefrog
Did you do this at our Turkey crawl???
yeh, that is what i get for taking off on my own. Lesson learned, I won't leave the group again.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Yep, you are totally fine for daily driving. If the torn boot starts slapping, zip tie or tape or rip it off. (but clean the gunk out and grease the splines as part of your regular maintenance). Offroad, don't disconnect until you get around to replacing with a thinner shaft. That 'should' keep the driveshaft out of contact.
Good to know, I plan on replacing it sooner rather than later so I'll just put off nay trips that may require a disconnect.

thanks!
Old 12-10-2011, 10:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to know, I plan on replacing it sooner rather than later so I'll just put off nay trips that may require a disconnect.

thanks!
If you decide to replace the shaft with an aftermarket let me know, I'll make the trip up your way and lend a hand...

Quick Reply: torn driveshaft boot