Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

torn between the 2..

Old 03-09-2014, 11:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default torn between the 2..

im about to pull the trigger on a new set of rubber! im torn between the goodyear mt-r and the duratracs. i love the looks of the mt-r but i was wondering if anyone has experience with either of these on and off road. by the way there gunna be 35s
Old 03-09-2014, 11:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Joey
im about to pull the trigger on a new set of rubber! im torn between the goodyear mt-r and the duratracs. i love the looks of the mt-r but i was wondering if anyone has experience with either of these on and off road. by the way there gunna be 35s
I had MTR-Ks in a 35x12.50x17 on my TJ, nothing but balancing issues. It was a nightmare. This was a while ago when they were pretty new, so maybe they resolved the out of round issues, and though they were great off road and decent on the road at low speeds....i wouldn't give them another chance based on my experiences. Duratracs seem to get great reviews across the board, A buddy runs them on his New Ram 1500 he likes them.

Last edited by Grimmjpr; 03-09-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:16 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

in 35's go with the duratrac's. One of the best all around tires out there and they will be quieter and will balance better then the MTR's
Old 03-09-2014, 11:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently switched from Duratracs to MTRs. I'd only recommend the MTRs if you plan to offroad a lot and get into mud or something where max traction makes a difference. On road, the Duratracs were awesome. Solid in rain and snow. Quiet, rode well, and wore well.

The MTRs are much louder, ride isn't as nice, suck in any wet condition (relative to Duratracs). I didn't have balancing issues...yet.

If you want something more aggressive than a Duratrac, you might look at the Nitto Trail Grappler.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

I went with duratrac, it a great snow tire and all around tire. I've had them a year and I WILL be getting another set, if these ever wear out lol
Old 03-09-2014, 12:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't go wrong with either one. I had duratracs, now have the mtrs. The duratracs are quieter and are better in winter conditions for sure. The mtrs are a little rougher ride and make a nice hum. Both look great!

Quick Reply: torn between the 2..