Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Torn - aev or ome????

Old 09-29-2013, 08:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Pick one and you won't go far wrong. I kinda think the AEV might handle a little better, while the OME might be a bit tougher off road. Really splitting hairs though. The AEV rides great.
Old 09-29-2013, 09:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TJJK

BTW, OME coil springs are NOT progressive.
Thought I would do some checking.

w w w.oldmanemu.com.au/products/coil-springs/

Their own website lists both type of springs. It does not say what type the are. Even with the springs I have. Hhhmmm....

At least they give you a choice on vehicle loads. That is why I prefer OME.

Can't go wrong with either companies.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spdn4fun
Great! Would love to hear your thoughts on it once you have it done. Nice to know I'm not the only one struggling with this decision
Got the lift installed this weekend. Quick background: 2013 2-door, soft top, manual trans, stock bumpers, 35's, and something like 150 lbs of armor.

I went with the HD coils, Nitrocharger Sport shocks (regular length as I am running stock shafts and brake lines, etc. and wanted to keep it simple), front and rear JKS track bars, TF bump stops and extended rear sway bar links, and AEV geometry correction brackets.

First off, I love the JKS track bars. They are pure beef and it was easy to adjust everything.

AEV brackets + EVO Protek skid system = a major pain in the butt (but I got it to work). I was torn between the brackets and new front LCA's, but I am happy about the decision so far.

As for the HD coils - yes, that was my Jeep that was up near the moon this weekend. Saying how much lift I gained is subjective, but I'd say it is around 3.25"-3.5". More than I wanted now, but probably ideal in the future as I will be adding bumpers and eventually moving to 37's. If you go to the AEV website, look at the correction brackets, and you can download the instructions. In there is gives a method for measuring the lift, which tells you which holes to use. It is a simple measurement at the front coil from the bottom of the frame to the coil seat. I am at 6.5" post lift. Measure the same on your Jeep and you will have a pretty good sense for how much you will gain.

I need to get an alignment done this week as I am certain my toe is off. I also want to see where I am at with caster as I may need to use a different hole on the brackets.

I really haven't driven it much yet, but will be driving 10 hours each way to a Jeep Jamboree this weekend. So, I'll have 20 hours of road driving and two full days of wheeling to report back on. At the moment, I'd say it feels similar to stock. That said, I can't recall what that feels like. I had a 2.5" TF BB prior to this lift and it road like total shit. For me, it is night and day (significantly better).
Old 09-30-2013, 08:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Got the lift installed this weekend. Quick background: 2013 2-door, soft top, manual trans, stock bumpers, 35's, and something like 150 lbs of armor.

I went with the HD coils, Nitrocharger Sport shocks (regular length as I am running stock shafts and brake lines, etc. and wanted to keep it simple), front and rear JKS track bars, TF bump stops and extended rear sway bar links, and AEV geometry correction brackets.

First off, I love the JKS track bars. They are pure beef and it was easy to adjust everything.

AEV brackets + EVO Protek skid system = a major pain in the butt (but I got it to work). I was torn between the brackets and new front LCA's, but I am happy about the decision so far.

As for the HD coils - yes, that was my Jeep that was up near the moon this weekend. Saying how much lift I gained is subjective, but I'd say it is around 3.25"-3.5". More than I wanted now, but probably ideal in the future as I will be adding bumpers and eventually moving to 37's. If you go to the AEV website, look at the correction brackets, and you can download the instructions. In there is gives a method for measuring the lift, which tells you which holes to use. It is a simple measurement at the front coil from the bottom of the frame to the coil seat. I am at 6.5" post lift. Measure the same on your Jeep and you will have a pretty good sense for how much you will gain.

I need to get an alignment done this week as I am certain my toe is off. I also want to see where I am at with caster as I may need to use a different hole on the brackets.

I really haven't driven it much yet, but will be driving 10 hours each way to a Jeep Jamboree this weekend. So, I'll have 20 hours of road driving and two full days of wheeling to report back on. At the moment, I'd say it feels similar to stock. That said, I can't recall what that feels like. I had a 2.5" TF BB prior to this lift and it road like total shit. For me, it is night and day (significantly better).
Thanks for the update, good write-up. I pulled the trigger over the weekend on the same OME kit. It was such a toss up and it was really 50/50 on here. Figured I was good either way and I personally drove a drip on/off road this summer in Sedona, AZ and really loved the feel of the OME shocks.

With that said, they did have the AEV kit, but OME shocks on it. I spoke with the company that rents the Jeeps out to get their opinion on them and they said they use both kits. Said mostly use AEV, but have problems with the Bilsteins leaking because of the red dirt up there. Yes, AEV warranties them for them, but anytime they change out worn shocks, they put the OME's on. They also said they have NEVER had an issue with sag on the OME coils. So, coming from a company that rents jeeps for off roading, that says alot. Especially when these jeeps get hammered day in and day out.

I'll be interested to see your write-put after the Jamboree trip. Will be a true test to the kit (hope it turns out to be a great one )
Old 09-30-2013, 08:45 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

I made the same mistake years ago when I had the OME hd Coils. got around 3.5" of lift from it. I swapped out to the standard no load coils and was a much better height
and smoother ride. I was running the nitro sport shocks with it as well. I then tried the bilstein 5100 shocks and did not care for them as much. The nitro sports gave a nicer ride on road.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman

I made the same mistake years ago when I had the OME hd Coils. got around 3.5" of lift from it. I swapped out to the standard no load coils and was a much better height
and smoother ride. I was running the nitro sport shocks with it as well. I then tried the bilstein 5100 shocks and did not care for them as much. The nitro sports gave a nicer ride on road.

Yes, I think the standard coils are the way to go with a 2 door. The shocks are great though.

At this point for me, it's go big travel, or go home. No sense in investing more in my current set-up. Next year, I'd like to try the MetalCloak set-up with the 6 pak shocks. That said, I'll be swapping out my stock paper axles for 60's. Probably need to rethink the suspension all together at that point. I'd really like to stretch the wheel base out a bit at that time too. And on it goes....

I do secretly hope that I torpedo my front axle this fall though. Sometimes I just need a little motivation to get a project going.

Quick Reply: Torn - aev or ome????