Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Torn - aev or ome????

Old 09-28-2013, 05:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blue project
I went with aev for several reasons. Sure there is hype about them but if you really look at what your getting vs the price it's worth it. Your paying more for the engineering than anything else. They rarely are on sale because they don't have to be. The triple rate progressive springs and shocks custom tuned are amazing. I added their geometry correction brackets and that made all the difference. I have gone 95+ while running 34's and the lift handles just as good then as it does crawling down tbe beach.
I have the 4.5 AEV with Rock Krawler arms. I go 50, 000 miles on it with the lift going to Colorado, Moab and trails in between and the springs haven't sagged a bit. I have heavy bumpers and River Raider skids also.
Old 09-28-2013, 06:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I ran OME shocks and springs with the AEV drop brackets on my 2012. It was an awesome ride. I was after more of plush ride and got it. I don't think you'll go wrong with either. Me, pretty sure I'm going to end up with Metalcloak on my 2014.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Invest2m4;3691000]
Originally Posted by spdn4fun
So I do a search on the AusiJeep forum between OME and AEV and surprisingly a majority of them say AEV! I was very surprised hearing this from the Ausi's. I thought for sure they'd be talking up OME. Don't get me wrong, there were a few that like the OME, but majority voted AEV over OME.

And in the U.S. we drink Corona... Perception is often reality.
^X2...except it's Tecate
Old 09-28-2013, 08:08 PM
JK Freak

Got the aev with the drop bracket, the lift alone make the jeep feel light and bouncy, caster angle is a little limit to my taste the steering get wobbly on bump.
Adding the drop bracket removed the wobbling feeling and the bouncyness also. The suspension is a little more stiff than the factory when going over bump but over all it close to factory.

Only complaint is the nose diving on breacking
Old 09-29-2013, 03:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

AEV kits have a OME dampening device and MetalCloak kits have a OME absorbing device.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:24 AM
JK Newbie

I have a '10 Sport with a Rubicon shocks and springs. When I saw someone on CL had OME front springs for sale, I bought those. What a huge difference in ride quality. On and off road. I will be getting the rear springs for my JKU also. The OME springs are a progressive rate which soaks up the bumps really nicely. I have another friend who did the Rubicon suspension mod and when he drove mine, he could not believe how well it did when we hit some bumpy dirt roads.

Another fellow Jeepers I know has the AEV 2.5" kit and it is nice, but even he likes my OME springs. He says his rides a little stiff sometimes. His Jeep is a '12 2 door. I would say you cannot go wrong with either choice, but I am biased towards OME. When you look at the kits, OME has different springs which you can chose depending on the load, front and back, not the "one size fits all" AEV has. I know from what I have read, OME does lots of testing, on and off road with different spring rates before they will release a package for any vehicle.

Good luck with your choice.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:37 AM
MFX
JK Super Freak

Good thread. I've been running the 2.5 TF lift for the last 3 yrs and over time the ride has gotten more rough and the shimmy after hitting bumps is nauseating. The impact is so bad when hitting bumps that the speedo needle jumps around. Seems that after I upgraded front and rear bumpers, winch and 35's the ride drastically went downhill from there. I'm in desperate need of suspension correction. My jeep is a DD and in all fairness will probably never see a trail so I don't care about flex

Sent from my SGH-I337M
Old 09-29-2013, 10:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chuck_tempe
I have a '10 Sport with a Rubicon shocks and springs. When I saw someone on CL had OME front springs for sale, I bought those. What a huge difference in ride quality. On and off road. I will be getting the rear springs for my JKU also. The OME springs are a progressive rate which soaks up the bumps really nicely. I have another friend who did the Rubicon suspension mod and when he drove mine, he could not believe how well it did when we hit some bumpy dirt roads. Another fellow Jeepers I know has the AEV 2.5" kit and it is nice, but even he likes my OME springs. He says his rides a little stiff sometimes. His Jeep is a '12 2 door. I would say you cannot go wrong with either choice, but I am biased towards OME. When you look at the kits, OME has different springs which you can chose depending on the load, front and back, not the "one size fits all" AEV has. I know from what I have read, OME does lots of testing, on and off road with different spring rates before they will release a package for any vehicle. Good luck with your choice.
Multi/progressive rate coils work in theory. I'd rather have a linear rate coil that is specific for the weight I'm carrying.
Old 09-29-2013, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chuck_tempe
I have a '10 Sport with a Rubicon shocks and springs. When I saw someone on CL had OME front springs for sale, I bought those. What a huge difference in ride quality. On and off road. I will be getting the rear springs for my JKU also. The OME springs are a progressive rate which soaks up the bumps really nicely. I have another friend who did the Rubicon suspension mod and when he drove mine, he could not believe how well it did when we hit some bumpy dirt roads. Another fellow Jeepers I know has the AEV 2.5" kit and it is nice, but even he likes my OME springs. He says his rides a little stiff sometimes. His Jeep is a '12 2 door. I would say you cannot go wrong with either choice, but I am biased towards OME. When you look at the kits, OME has different springs which you can chose depending on the load, front and back, not the "one size fits all" AEV has. I know from what I have read, OME does lots of testing, on and off road with different spring rates before they will release a package for any vehicle. Good luck with your choice.
BTW, OME coil springs are NOT progressive.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TJJK

BTW, OME coil springs are NOT progressive.
You are probably right. I thought I heard the OME were. No big deal to me. All I know is that my buttcheeks feel better with my OME springs.

😁👍

Quick Reply: Torn - aev or ome????