Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Torn - aev or ome????

Old 09-27-2013, 08:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aev for me but I will say that OME was second and I personally cant speak for it...but I am very happy with my aev lift dirves better than stock
Old 09-28-2013, 03:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just struggled with the same decision. My Jeep is currently in my driveway halfway through the OME lift install. I'll let you know what I think once it is done today.

Why I went with OME over AEV:

1. the installation process of Bilstein shocks is plain ridiculous. Did it once and nearly lost my mind.

2. Northridge 4x4 has a great deal on the OME kit that includes front and rear JKS adjustable track bars.

To be fair, I am replacing my TF BB, so I am reusing the bump stops, sway bar links, and brake line brackets. Not hard to add that stuff. Plus, AEV comes with brackets to drop the front sway bar links (I guess that works if you never plan to disconnect).

Lastly, I can't stand brand hype. Not saying AEV isn't great, but I think there is some amount of confirmation bias from those who run it. Hey, if everyone else has it and says it's great, then this is what great must be....
Old 09-28-2013, 06:02 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
I just struggled with the same decision. My Jeep is currently in my driveway halfway through the OME lift install. I'll let you know what I think once it is done today.

1. the installation process of Bilstein shocks is plain ridiculous. Did it once and nearly lost my mind.

2. Northridge 4x4 has a great deal on the OME kit that includes front and rear JKS adjustable track bars.

To be fair, I am replacing my TF BB, so I am reusing the bump stops, sway bar links, and brake line brackets. Not hard to add that stuff. Plus, AEV comes with brackets to drop the front sway bar links (I guess that works if you never plan to disconnect).

Lastly, I can't stand brand hype. Not saying AEV isn't great, but I think there is some amount of confirmation bias from those who run it. Hey, if everyone else has it and says it's great, then this is what great must be....

I got the OME kit from Northridge that come with the JKS F/R TB's. Awsome ride! I would like add that if you get the OME kit, get the OME long travel shocks over standard, brake line drop brackets or new longer lines and front lower control arms over drop brackets and you are set to go.

I helped a friend install Bilstein shocks, and what a pain in the getting that allen key on top of the front shocks.

Cleaned up poser shot.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	0928131007.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	500946  

Last edited by GunDude; 09-28-2013 at 06:13 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both are very good lift kits but the OME is not as popular as others like the TF, RE or AEV kits. All of these kits arguably have a better ride than stock, but hands down the AEV has better road handling. The problem with AEV is their products are rarely/never on sale.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4

Great! Would love to hear your thoughts on it once you have it done. Nice to know I'm not the only one struggling with this decision
Old 09-28-2013, 01:07 PM
JK Freak

Very happy with OME!
Old 09-28-2013, 01:22 PM
JK Super Freak

I went with aev for several reasons. Sure there is hype about them but if you really look at what your getting vs the price it's worth it. Your paying more for the engineering than anything else. They rarely are on sale because they don't have to be. The triple rate progressive springs and shocks custom tuned are amazing. I added their geometry correction brackets and that made all the difference. I have gone 95+ while running 34's and the lift handles just as good then as it does crawling down tbe beach.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:58 PM
JK Newbie

Maybe I need to stop reading so many forums

So I do a search on the AusiJeep forum between OME and AEV and surprisingly a majority of them say AEV! I was very surprised hearing this from the Ausi's. I thought for sure they'd be talking up OME. Don't get me wrong, there were a few that like the OME, but majority voted AEV over OME.

I've also read that the Bilsteins on the AEV tend to be stiff for the daily driver? Versus the OME which tend to be plush for the daily driver? Then I hear the springs tend to sag over time with the OME whereas not so much with the AEV? Completely torn at this point!

Maybe I just go with the AEV and if I don't like the stiffness of the shocks I can always sale them and get the OME shocks. Or, maybe completely throw both out the window and go with the Metalcloak that has the OME shocks, lol. Really not ready to put down that kind of $$$.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:09 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by spdn4fun
Guys, I've read so much on suspension kits and have narrowed it down to these 2 kits. I'm ready to pull the trigger and order, but just want to get a few last opinions on which way to go. It's either the AEV XT 2.5" or the OME 2" kit I'm looking at. I've heard great things about both kits and price difference is minimal. Has anyone out there had experience with both kits and prefer one over the other?

Keep in mind this is mostly a daily driver on road, with the occassionaly off road adventure. I'm talking 95% on road 5% off road. I do run 35's, have the heavy front/rear bumpers, winch, spare 35", etc. So lots of additional weight.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.
when i went through what your going through i looked at AEV, OME and BDS

i wound up getting the 3" bds with Fox shocks and i've been very happy with it both on and off road

i added two pretty heavy Ace Engineering bumpers and tire carrier and the lift still handles just like it did when i was all stock except for the life and 33's

matthew
Old 09-28-2013, 04:31 PM
JK Junkie

[QUOTE="spdn4fun;3690938"] So I do a search on the AusiJeep forum between OME and AEV and surprisingly a majority of them say AEV! I was very surprised hearing this from the Ausi's. I thought for sure they'd be talking up OME. Don't get me wrong, there were a few that like the OME, but majority voted AEV over OME.

And in the U.S. we drink Corona... Perception is often reality.

Quick Reply: Torn - aev or ome????