Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Top 3 Must Haves!

Old 12-07-2014, 09:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top 3 Must Haves!

I have just purchased my 2015 JKRU HardRock and am looking to add some mods! What are your top 3 must haves! I'm thinking about a Winch, A Pillar Lights, BB, or Soft Top, at least that's what I think I'm going to start with! Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

I bought the 2014 version of the HR, the X. First 3 things I did was 3" Mopar lift with adj track bar, 35s, and winch, mount plate, and Maximus-3 grill guard. Next was the Tera Flex hinged spare tire carrier. Then, after wheeling I realized I needed skid plates because that flimsy cross bar that runs in front of the t-case bent after the first rock hit it. So, I installed the Rock Hard oil pan and trans skid. I also did a few little things, like Mopar door sill entry guards, CB, fire extinguishers, and KC Hi-Lites. Also, don't forget about the free mod, take the end caps off the front bumper to run the stubby bumper, I prefer that look.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1386435359.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	587144  
Old 12-07-2014, 10:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

I forgot to mention the Bushwacker flat flares. They came last. I have an Artec truss and gussets waiting to be installed. I will be going to 37s eventually.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would hardly call A pillar lights a must have unless you plan on doing a fair amount of night wheeling. Take it out stock first and then see where you are lacking for the kind of wheeling you are going to be doing. Personally I would say diff covers can be a good start. Cheap and easy to install. Good insurance for your diffs just in case you smack one against a rock. A good recovery kit is always nice to have. Good luck.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just read your original post again and it looks like you didn't get the dual top group. I would definitely be getting a soft top first if I were you. My soft top was on from April to November (in MI). I absolutely love the soft top. Going topless is my favorite way to drive. If you get a BB, you will likely want bigger tires. You can run 35s on your factory rims with spacers with like 2.5" of lift.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:15 AM
JK Freak

Recovery gear and a winch are your #1 & #2 must haves. With a winch you can try harder things and get yourself out if you don't make it.

#3 for me was on board air so I can fill and deflate my tires for 4wheeling and street driving. Some choose to go compressed cans of gas (I think it is nitrogen), but I prefer to not have to continually pay to refill. Once purchased and air compressor will fill your tires up many many times and you're not carrying around a compressed tank of gas.

Another item that isn't very expensive is a fire extinguisher. Get one designed for automotive, I recommend the H3R halguard units. 2.5lb will fit between your drivers seat and door on the seat rails and cost $120. Good practice is to carry 5lb of extinguisher or more. If your modding, 4wheeling or both it is a smart buy. Doubt you'll ever need it, but those that have one and needed it are very happy they have it because you can stop your jeep from becoming totaled.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:24 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the imput everyone! I did not add the dual top group because I wanted a soft top that follows the angle of the bars in the back. The reason I want the A Pillar Lights is that I do a ton of beach fishing/ driving here on the east coast alot of Shark fishing from the shore is done at night! My only heaitaion about a BB is if i do so i will want new tires, Can't afford that yet! So I wanted to do all that at once! Suspension and tires.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:40 AM
JK Newbie

Better headlights. You use them every time you drive your vehicle at night. I went with led headlights and I would recommend the first thing anyone does for a mod is throw those stock headlights in a garbage can and replace them.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:18 AM
JK Newbie

I agree the headlight upgrade is a must have, I love these Cibie H4 headlamps Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply he can have a harness made which makes a huge increase in light!! These people can help also Rally Lights, Hella, TerraTrip, Hans, WRC, ZAMP - RallyLights.com
Old 12-07-2014, 11:56 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by WETALN
... The reason I want the A Pillar Lights is that I do a ton of beach fishing/ driving here on the east coast alot of Shark fishing from the shore is done at night! ...
This is really important to know. I assume you're confident you can drive the beach at night (or tires would not be put off until you have more money while spending money on other things). So, recovery basics (snatch strap, shackles front and rear, etc) so a buddy can pull you out (a winch is useless on a beach unless you have a buddy or a land anchor, so just have him tug you out), lights for night driving, and a refrigerator/freezer to keep the bait, catch, and drinks cold. And ice cream frozen if you choose.

Quick Reply: Top 3 Must Haves!