Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tool storage - Bag, Box, Rolls or combination

Old 01-19-2015, 05:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Tool storage - Bag, Box, Rolls or combination

If you are like me, once you gather up all of your tools and stuff that go into your rig things tend to add up. I've looked at several different storage solutions and was just curious what everyone uses.

- So, what is everyone's preferred method of tool storage in your rig (tool box, bag, rolls, or something else)?

- How do you store your socket sets or do you just use the factory box?

If you can, please note the specific tool bag, box or roll you use.

I was thinking of using some small pouches of some sort for sockets, allen/torx bits, etc. since the plastic cases they normally come in can take up more space. Tool rolls for wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, etc. he putting all of that in a tool bag along with the larger items.

Just trying to figure out the best option for space, ease of getting into, and ease of transporting.

Thanks.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a combination of bags and rolls, and a large zipped tool bag.

I started with a bunch of small (8" maybe) Husky brand zippered tool pouches that I bought at home depot. I don't even remember when or why I bought them. I store all my little loose things in these. One for SAE sockets, one for metric sockets, one for SAE wrenches, one for metric wrenches, one for misc fluids/glue (jb weld, electrical tape, RTV, gorilla glue, etc.), one for wire repair stuff (crimps, fuses, crimping tool, extra wire, etc.)... you get the idea.

The small zippered pouches get organized into small 12" and 15" fabric bags I bought at Harbor Freight. They were $5-$7 each with coupon. Inside the harbor freight bags I put all the pouches, and any items that don't fit in the pouches. So in one bag I'll have the pouches with my socket and wrench pouches, and then loose in the bag I'll have the ratchets, different sizes of socket extensions, pipe wrench, 3 lbs hammer, etc. The canvas bags store like items (one for tools, one for misc stuff (pouch with glues, spare rags, folding utility knife, 550 cord, etc.), one full of ratcheting straps, one with my snatch/recovery straps and d-rings, etc.). I also have a small VIAIR bag that holds a 25' coiled air-up hose, air-up attachment with gauge, and my quick air-down tool. The VIAIR bag came with my OBA kit I bought from them. My first-aid kit also came in a small bag of its own.

Lastly I have one large 24" Husky brand zippered tool bag. That's my bag with all the extra stuff I only bring when I'm actually wheeling. It's just got more random tools that I only anticipate needing if I'm wheeling, and not while simply driving around town. I'll also throw some convenience tools in there, like my cordless hammer drill, extra long breaker bar, extra tarp, full-size towel, MRE, etc. Stuff I might not really need, but would make a trail repair that much easier to complete.

All my smaller bags stay in the Jeep all the time. They're small enough to fit under the seats in my four-door. The larger tool bag only fits in my trunk, but like I mentioned before I used to only bring it with me when I was actually wheeling. I say used to, because now that I have a Tuffy Security Deck enclosure and my trunk area is secure, I keep all my tools in my trunk and I keep all of them with me all the time. Before, I was constantly having to remove all my equipment from the Jeep everytime I ran doorless/topless, which is often in San Diego. Now that I have the security enclosure and since everything just remains in the trunk all the time now, I'm now looking for a better tool storage solution. Hoping someone pops on here with a nice idea I can copy, but I'm thinking I'll just find two larger zippers tool bags that will hold all of my stuff. One or two bags that I can simply keep in the Jeep at all times, or remove in a flash if I need the space for some reason.

I have so many tool bags now that all look the same that I sometimes have to open a couple bags before finding the one I'm looking for. I can sometimes tell by the weight of the bag, but I probably need to buy some fabric paint to label my bags. I tried spray paint, but it don't work that well on the fabric bags.

I really like the idea of the Smittybilt tool bag that looks like a zippered duffel/roller bag with wheels and a partition in the main compartment, but I don't like the $90 price tag, and I'm unsure how big it is or if it would fit all my tools. Not to mention I'm not sure the quality or how durable it will be. My tools weigh quite a bit. I wish I could find a hard-sided duffel/roller bag that was nice and durable, but didn't cost a ton. I'd spend up to $100 on one if it was the right size and durable enough to hold all my stuff.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

One thing to consider is what all that gear is going to do in case you get in a wreck. I used the "under floor storage" thread on this forum to build a box for the back of the Jeep that is fastened to the tub. All the gear will stay in place in a wreck and the design also has a sleeping platform feature. Check out that thread.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1864 (800x450).jpg
Views:	512
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	592675
Old 01-19-2015, 01:09 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

I've done the gamut of options, and finally settled on a big Craftsman bag (long enough to fit the flexhead 1/2" ratchet) to hold the tools. Then inside and on top of that I keep a roll-up pouch that has the tools I use almost all of the time--several screwdrivers, four-way ratcheting wrenches in four sizes (16 sizes total), pliers, ball peen hammer, tire deflators, etc. I also have a couple very small canvas pouches that I use to hold small things--spare fuses, short ratchet extensions and wobblies, etc. Sockets are only one of each size--then I use adapters to fit them to the needed ratchet handle (1/4-3/8-1/2" in the bag). They are kept on racks.

All of this is kept in a custom sized SoCal drawer. Open tailgate, pull drawer out, unzip bag, pull out tool pouch when needed. Takes about a minute. For bigger jobs, pull out the entire bag, which includes lots of combo wrenches, really big pliers, etc. This combo really works well for me--so much better than the space-wasting 4 drawer tool chest I used to carry!

Name:	Jeep Tools, Apr 14, 5028.jpg
Views:	471
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	592744Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep Tools, Apr 14, 5102.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	592745Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep Tools, Apr 14, 5132.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	592746Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep Tools, Apr 14, 5156.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	592747Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep Tools, Apr 14, 5221.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	592748
Old 01-19-2015, 01:41 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

I also use a Craftsman tool bag, it's pretty strong. The larger tools are loose in the bottom. The rest is a mix of random zipper pouches, velcro ties, even some old tupper-ware... Most of this was recycled from the shop, barn, closets, kitchen, etc. So my advice is too see what you can re-purpose first.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a toolbox type of guy. I can keep thinks a little more organized, it's water proof if I get stuck in a storm, and it's a tiny bit more secure from theft. I can lock it, and lock it to my roll cage. It also serves as a great canvas for all of the free stickers I get when I order parts.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:05 PM
JK Newbie

I went from this first picture to the second (sorry it's upside down). They are DeWalt cases and they fit perfectly inside the Tuffy security enclosure in my JKU. there is a about 4-5 inches of room behind them for stuff that doesn't fit inside like large impact socket set, come along etc. They are the DeWalt DWST08201/3 - they were under $200 for all 4 on amazon

Name:	IMG_0173.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	592772Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0174.jpg
Views:	1026
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	592773

Last edited by afletche; 01-19-2015 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:10 PM
JK Freak

I have a decent size plastic Craftsman tool box that most of my tools go in. Some loose, wrenches in a roll, most sockets on various strips. I also carry a big tub that has the larger tools that don't fit in the box, along with an electric impact. Also in the tub is all my off-road gear, along with personal hygiene products.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I use a bag that's meant for an ATV. It fits perfectly behind the seat of my 2 dr with no wasted space. It has a couple of pouches on the front and a large divided main compartment. Inside goes a BucketBoss tool roll, a Wright tool roll for wrenches, zippered tool bads, my small Viair compressor, etc etc... Another nice thing about the ATV bag is that its meant to attach to an ATV rack so it has straps and buckles sewn into to bottom that is perfect for tying into the tie downs in the rear.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:33 PM
JK Super Freak

I keep some basic tools in the rear storage area, and have a large tool bag for trips. I keep the bag out since I have a 2 door and room is rare. When I'm on a trip I'm not worried about putting groceries and such inside, so the bag goes in.

Quick Reply: Tool storage - Bag, Box, Rolls or combination