Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tool Box

Old 05-09-2012, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tool Box

I just recently invested quite a bit of money in tools and I was wondering if anyone has actually mounted a tool box in their Jeep. I have a 2-door, so space is very limited. I thought about taking off the storage enclosured cover in the trunk, and mouting it there, but I would really like other opinions as well. This is the tool box I am looking at.

4-Drawer Metal Portable Chest - Black Wrinkle- Craftsman-Tools-Tool Storage-Portable Toolboxes

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Instead of buying that one, we bought the regular plastic on (less rattle noise) and used a wrench roll to hold the wrench and a craftsman ratchet holder for all the different sizes we have. Great toolbox. Btw we have come to realize that if we use a tool even once on the jeep we keep it in the toolbox so that way we don't have to search for it.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got the covers on my seats that have the MOLLE attachments on them, so I use three pouches to put my tools in when off road. It's not too loud and serves it's purpose.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use 2 craftsman tool boxes one is just a shallow box with tray that I keep my wrenches and hex keys and a 3 drawer to store everything else I put a peiece of non-slip pad on the bottom of the trays to quit them down and to keep everything from rolling around.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Went this route and very happy with as long as you do not need your back seat! Can be removed in less than 3 mins, if need to put back seat seat in or need the extra room.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep 002.jpg
Views:	1333
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	315324   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep 005.JPG
Views:	629
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	315325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep 004.JPG
Views:	573
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	315326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep 003.JPG
Views:	555
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	315327  
Old 05-10-2012, 11:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GunDude
Went this route and very happy with as long as you do not need your back seat! Can be removed in less than 3 mins, if need to put back seat seat in or need the extra room.
GunDude has ammo in his tool box. Go figure.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know you have a 2-door, the Sears toolbox is similar footprint size to mine below, the anti-theft carridge bolts I used to secure it may be useful to you.

Here's the locking steel box I bolted to the trunk floor 4 years ago on my 4-door. It's big enough to securely hold plenty of tools and trail gear, and small enough so I can continue to use the trunk space and open the stock rear cubby. Black powder-coated 37lb steel box cost $120 + $25 shipping from Northern Tool. The box has handles on both sides, so great for securing other gear around and on top of the box with ratchet straps or bungee cords.

Positioning the box on the trunk floor needs to be thought out - mine is set back in the trunk so can continue to use the stock cubby, box is positioned 6" inches forward of the rear seats so box lid leans back far enough to stay open and rests on the rear seat backs andspoon to secure an axe behind it, and box is positioned slightly left of center so the bolts avoid the suspension springs and rear axle.

I drilled four 1/4 inch holes in the box corners and through the JK's floor, pushed 4" long domed-top Carriage Bolts with washers up from the JK's underside through the trunk floor into the toolbox, secured with washers and nuts on the inside on the box.

To prevent rattling the box comes with a rubber pad on the inside floor, and added a plastic-coated padlock.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Slob
GunDude has ammo in his tool box. Go figure.
Working on getting it full of ammo!
Old 05-11-2012, 05:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with a tool bag. It's not as organized as a box, but it fits anywhere and doesn't rattle.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I carry a pelican case with cut foam inserts - built for other work, but easy to throw in the back - no rattle at all
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2331886346.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	320576   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1740829275.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	320577  

Quick Reply: Tool Box