Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Took the gear jump...

Old 03-18-2010, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took the gear jump...

Ok, so about a week and a half ago, I got stuck in a little bit of mud. Threw her in 4lo and started pulling out when the not so familiar sound of gears letting go reverberated off the trees. I was crushed, never had this happen to me, much less 2 1/2 weeks after I buy the Jeep. Thanks Chuck by the way if your reading this, awesome Jeep. Anyways, I limp it back home and park it. After some careful research I decide the R&P gave out, and I suspected it was due to improper shimming... you know, since when is a R&P supposed to give out before a D30? I think long and hard about it, read up on a pretty sweet regear post here on the forum, and order new parts. Now, I know just enough about turning wrenchs to get myself into trouble, but I figured if I can figure this out, that would be a whole heap of money I can save in the future doing my own gears when I make the step up. Well, tonight, I confirmed what thought the problem was. Pulled the diff cover and lo and behold, missing 8 teeth and various others are chipped on the outer edge of the ring, plus a whole tooth is missing on the pinion. I pull it all out and look at the wear pattern and the pinion was only riding on 3/4 of the ring! What the he!!? There were a total of 2 shims for the carrier, one on each side. I am not going to say who did the install until I can confirm that the shims that were in there were adequate or not, and the R&P were just a bad make. But the pinion depth wasn't set right, I didn't even bother making a prelim backlash measurement because the gears were so badly worn. There were stress fractures all the way around the outside of the ring gear from the pinion not riding correctly. I'm still pretty heated about the whole thing. I decided to go ahead and crack the rear diff after I finish with the front to make sure that the rear didn't get the same sh*tty service the front did. Maybe I'm wrong on all my observations, I'll post up some pics soon so maybe y'all can chime in with your 2 cents. Anyone have a problem with G2 gears?
Old 03-18-2010, 06:34 PM
JK Junkie

Question is, who installed? That might be the issue.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Were these the stock gears? Wow.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm leaving the name of the installers out just in case they aren't the guilty party. Kinda doubt that right now, but give them the benifit of the doubt. They weren't the stock, they are 5.13.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

pics or it didnt happen
Old 03-19-2010, 04:42 AM
JK Super Freak

...well I hate to say it, but your impression is probably correct regarding your gears set up, they were set up wrong
Old 03-19-2010, 09:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

90% of the time new R&P failure is improper setup, 9% it is from to much right pedal at the wrong time. 1% is bad gears. You would have an extremely hard time trying to get a replacement set under warranty. Unless the installer was backing up the work. IF the gears are set-up properly it is 99% the time a right foot issue.

Best thing to do is get a new set and have them correctly installed by yourself or someone you trust.

You also need to check the other differential for proper set-up.

Last edited by toymaster; 03-19-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by toymaster
You also need to check the other differential for proper set-up.
definately
Old 03-19-2010, 01:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, pretty sure it's a bad setup. I'm no genious, but 1 shim on each side of the carrier just doesn't seem like enough. I kinda figured the manufacturer won't warantee it, but I am going to try to hold the installers feet to the fire. I'll post up some pics tonight, gotta go out and try to finish, or get close to, tonight. Wish me luck!!!
Old 03-19-2010, 01:35 PM
JK Super Freak

the shims 'could' be machined to the appropriate thickness on either side and would be the way I would do things over again if I were to regear...get the right pattern with multiple shims, then for final install have each shim made to the right thickness...and that's how they come from the factory...you should really measure them and see what thickness they are...I hope like hell someone didn't just decide to reuse the old ones with the new gears hoping it would work out

Quick Reply: Took the gear jump...