Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Too Much Steering Play

Old 03-06-2013, 05:52 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleBJK
There is a slight negative camber but I read online that is what you want, about 5%, Seems like a lot. I didn't check the %.
CAMBER − 0.25° ± 0.37° (-0.62° to +0.12°)
MAX LT/RT DIFFERENCE ± 0.5°
Old 03-06-2013, 06:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP if I were you I would check to see if they actually made those cuts into the control arm brackets.I have a feeling they didn't . I have seen a couple of Jeeps come out of some shops here in Jacksonville NC claiming they have an offroad shop/section and they didn't do this cut I'm talking about. Well if you check and they DIDN'T cut those mounts I would definitely buy some adjustable control arms and AVOID CAM bolts
Old 03-06-2013, 07:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got through fixing the same issue. Make sure your Drag link end link nut is tight! This would be the one at the pitman arm and the one on the passenger steering knuckle. Stick a allen wrench in the bottom of the bolt to hold it in place and tighten the nut on the Drag Link end link. Amazing how this fixed my play in steering after my 3.5 lift. I thought it ws tight but it wasnt.

You might also check the tightness of your track bar. Any loosness here can cause what you are feeling as well.

Caster should not cause steering play, this would be the steering components. Caster will cause it to wander a bit though.

Last edited by Paws; 03-06-2013 at 07:10 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:09 AM
JK Super Freak

^^^**this

My draglink bolt on the knuckle has wobbled out the hole so it won't stay tight. I can hit it with an impact to tighten it down for short periods and my steering becomes tight again. But eventually that bolt loosens up and the unresponsive steering comes back. Same exact issue the OP is having.

I just bought a set of Reid knuckles which are being installed this weekend along with ball joints, synergy tie rod and draglink flip kit.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
^^^**this

My draglink bolt on the knuckle has wobbled out the hole so it won't stay tight. I can hit it with an impact to tighten it down for short periods and my steering becomes tight again. But eventually that bolt loosens up and the unresponsive steering comes back. Same exact issue the OP is having.

I just bought a set of Reid knuckles which are being installed this weekend along with ball joints, synergy tie rod and draglink flip kit.
Would Red Locktight help this or have you tried and it still backs off? I think that is waht mine is doing and might apply more locktight to it. Ill know more in a couple days as I just tightened it.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Unfortunately, the mounting hole on the knuckle is wobbled out so loctite has not worked. You could try it but it was unsuccessful for me. Guessing it was loose for a while and just worked itself back and forth too long. I only run 35's but they are toyos so very heavy. If stuff isn't tight, it's going to break!

I could have reemed the holes and put a bigger bolt in I suppose but I was planning on doing a drag link flip and the Reids fit my budget thanks to tax return.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Synergy High Steer solved my issue there. 3.5RK FLEX Best Mod to date.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

What about the AEV control arm relocation brackets? Will that work?
Old 03-17-2013, 06:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Did the lift come with and was a drop pitman installed? Sounds like nut on pitman could be loose.

Quick Reply: Too Much Steering Play