Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Too much info!

Old 08-30-2014 | 12:11 PM
JK Newbie

No alignment printout that I know of, have to check. CAs look to be stock and no bracket to my untrained eye. Looked into the flip earlier and think that would work well to start getting things parallel, didn't seem like drop pitman was to popular. Been pricing everything and always more $ wanting to be spent. Just want it correct and not damaging any thing that will eventually cost more. New axle would be a lil steep as far as the near future is concerned. Trying learn but still tons of info.

From what I understand seems like c-gussets are a must. Tie rod, just replace when this one is shot? Or now
Old 08-30-2014 | 12:52 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

The lift raises the axle pinion, which lowers the caster, which causes flighty steering. The higher the lift, the lower the number, and the flightier it gets. To correct low caster, the choices are cam bolts, drop brackets, longer/shorter fixed control arms, adjustable control arms. There are pro's/con's, so, more research. (I am actually surprised that a 4" teraflex lift did not include adjustable arms.)

Some alignment shops will do free checks, where they just print out your current numbers without actually touching anything. Checking where you are at now with the caster should probably be your first action, rather than immediately throwing money at a flip.
Old 08-30-2014 | 02:26 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Are you an experienced off roader? You say you are new to the jeep. What does "pushing" mean to you in your off road driving? Many new owners get too hung up building right off the bat like you did with 4" of lift without knowing what they are doing. Most that do that end up building a vehicle that is worse off then the stock and tend to waste money correcting problems and doing things over 2-3 times.

Go out and drive your jeep, enjoy it and over time you will learn about it and what limitations your jeep may have as you develop your driving skills. Go on some group drives, watch how others drive and talk with them about their jeeps and what they have done.

There is lots of hype and product marketing on the forums to sell products. You will see a lot about driveshafts and axle upgrades, some need them but most do not if they properly set up their jeeps. People make way too much a deal about lifts, shocks, coils and brands. Learn about the components on your jeep and it will become clear to you what you may or may not need. Remember most guys out here on the forums are relitively new to jeeping as well and only have limitied knowledge of suspension and components other then the brand they purchased or have read and reguritated from others on the forums.

Very well said
Old 08-30-2014 | 04:03 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks THIN, was unaware that a shop would do that no charge. That's where I'll be this week then.
Old 08-30-2014 | 04:41 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Not all shops, but some will just to get you in the door. (obviously hoping you will go ahead and let them do the work). I see ads from my local Firestone and Sears offering it every so often.

And just a heads-up if you end up paying for a full alignment, a few people have posted that cam bolts were installed during the alignment without their express permission. So talk to the tech and have him verify what you want done before adding any parts.
Old 09-02-2014 | 06:22 AM
JK Newbie

Just got alignment measurements. Shop said adjustable bj to correct camber, caster severely out and causing poor handling. To correct caster requires dealer cam adjustment kit. He said to take back to dealer and have them fix it, just had lift installed 4000 mi ago. Take back to them, another shop, or what?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2110538770.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	574132
Old 09-02-2014 | 06:29 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

They are talking cam bolts and you should avoid those at all costs on a jeep. A full set of adjustable control arms is really what you should be looking at. Your camber should be in spec and I would really question that. That means you have bent your inner C's on the axle. Is its more likely out of spec because the axle rotates as you lift it and correcting it with the control arms should bring it back closer to factory spec.
Old 09-02-2014 | 06:49 AM
JK Newbie

1. Dealership installed a kit without alignment......I would hammer their asses, if you chose not to get it aligned, well now you know.
2. Make them correct the issues if they suggested and sold you the lift. If you bought the lift and took it to them then you will need to source the correct parts for the fix.

Please read Dirtman's posts. Do not allow them to install Cam Bolts. This is fixed with adjustable CAs.
Old 09-02-2014 | 02:00 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys, will see dealer about camber being off. Hopefully nothing wrong with C but to correct that go with adjustable BJ? and if so go ahead and do left and right? As far as caster, on my own pick up some adjustable CA, and keep the dealer out of that. Any suggestions? I know opinions will very, I'll prob order some soon.
Old 09-02-2014 | 02:25 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

I wouldn't worry about the camber.

The caster for sure should be addressed with some adjustable arms.

Quick Reply: Too much info!