Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

too many choices on locker

Old 01-18-2011, 02:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How often are people experiencing air line failures or even air compressors for that matter? Thanks
Old 01-18-2011, 02:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Default ARB failures

I run ARB's in my Pro Rocks, and I think they are incredible. If an ARB fails, 99% of the time it has to do with the competency of the installer. Do it correctly and it will last as long as any other locker out there, but I suppose that holds true with any locker.

Also, 68 of 148 vehicles racing in the Ultra 4 Racing Series (King of the Hammers included in this series) is running either both ARB's in their differentials or a combo of ARB/spool, or ARB/Detroit. These are purpose built race cars and that is enough proof for me of reliability and strength.

Last edited by GCM 2; 01-18-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Been spending a lot of time reading up on all of this lately and digesting the info. Hopefully this isn't an incredibly stupid question - but can you run a combo of say an ARB in the rear and a Truetrac in the front? Does anyone run that kind of s setup or should a true locker and an LSD not be mixed together?

Last edited by WhiskyPirate; 01-31-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiskyPirate
Been spending a lot of time reading up on all of this lately and digesting the info. Hopefully this isn't an incredibly stupid question - but can you run a combo of say an ARB in the rear and a Truetrac in the front? Does anyone run that kind of s setup or should a true locker and an LSD not be mixed together?
X2 I wanted to know the same thing
Old 01-31-2011, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DROELLE
X2 I wanted to know the same thing
A friend is running an ARB in the rear and a LSD in the front and has been happy with that setup, and he wheels the piss out of his rig

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using my knobs
Old 01-31-2011, 10:59 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiskyPirate
Yep, you can run any combination of lockers or lockers/limiteds or limiteds that you want. A TrueTrac is a good choice for the front axle, and will work great for everything except heavy rock crawling. I ran a TT/Detroit setup in my Dodge, there are many people on this board running TT/TT and TT/Detroit and Detroit/Detroit setups. Which you go with depends on your budget and your needs and where you live.

If I was choosing one of those setups for my JK, I would choose the TT/TT. It is the best fit for my current driving style and location. Somewhere with no snow/ice, and with a 44/44, I would go Detroit/Detroit. No snow/ice and a 30/44, I would go TT/Detroit.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:10 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Yep, you can run any combination of lockers or lockers/limiteds or limiteds that you want. A TrueTrac is a good choice for the front axle, and will work great for everything except heavy rock crawling. I ran a TT/Detroit setup in my Dodge, there are many people on this board running TT/TT and TT/Detroit and Detroit/Detroit setups. Which you go with depends on your budget and your needs and where you live.

If I was choosing one of those setups for my JK, I would choose the TT/TT. It is the best fit for my current driving style and location. Somewhere with no snow/ice, and with a 44/44, I would go Detroit/Detroit. No snow/ice and a 30/44, I would go TT/Detroit.
what about very little snow and ice? and can you elaborate a little on why you'd choose those? thanks
Old 01-31-2011, 11:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

I run the true trac front, and Detroit rear and love love love it! I was unsure to run the rear Detroit at first, because of road driving, and the wife driving. Turned out way cheaper than arbs!

Good luck! Cheers
Old 01-31-2011, 11:29 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by jvandy50
what about very little snow and ice? and can you elaborate a little on why you'd choose those? thanks
A Detroit/Detroit setup is not very confidence inspiring on snow/ice covered freeways heading up to the ski areas. Going slow around town, I didn't mind this setup, but no one in their right mind would have a warm & fuzzy feeling about the handling quirks on the slick stuff at higher speeds.

A TrueTrac/Detroit was better, but still a bit quirky at speed on slick freeways. Haven't driven a rear detroit on a shorter wheelbase vehicle, but I hear they aren't the best option for 2door Jeeps?

As others have mentioned, a TT will stress the axles less than a full auto-locker, so that would also be my choice in a D30. No way I would dump a grand into a selectable for a 30, so the $375 TT is the clear winner. For me, anyway.

For a 44/44 combo, if I lived somewhere that I would not be on snowy/icy freeways, I would have no problem at all with a detroit/detroit in my unlimited.

But, I live at altitude, and I don't really like rock crawling, so the TrueTrac/TrueTrac combo is what I would choose.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:33 AM
JK Newbie

I just had Lunatic install an Aussie front and an eLocker in the rear. That way I control when I am locked in the rear. Wheeled this weekend with them. I have to admit lockers are really nice. Only used the rear when I had to. Say what you want but the aussie is working great for me. Thanks Gerry!

Quick Reply: too many choices on locker