Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tom Woods Diff/transmission seals

Old 04-21-2012, 02:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tom Woods Diff/transmission seals

Hey, just installed Tom Woods fr/rr drive shafts, maybe it is me but the differential as well as transmission seals are not very well protected. The original have covers on the seals to prevent dirt coming in, the Tom Wood's don't. I am a bit worried as I am always playing around in water and mud, wandering if the Tom Woods were such a wise upgrade, any thoughts on this?
Old 04-21-2012, 03:45 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your talking about the dust covers, no, you don't need them.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:02 PM
JK Newbie

As many people have stated Tom woods uses Chinese u joints. I have not used them but 2 of the people I wheel with have experienced failures with tw driveshafts.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:12 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Berzerker
As many people have stated Tom woods uses Chinese u joints. I have not used them but 2 of the people I wheel with have experienced failures with tw driveshafts.
He's not talking about the ujoints.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mkjeep

He's not talking about the ujoints.
Oh ok then since he wasn't talking about them then they are great and no one should ever tell him other wise. Truck on brother.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:53 PM
JK Freak

Hey guys,

Thanks, yes I am talking about the dust covers....... from my point of view they are more mud/dirt covers, not sure why Tom Woods decided not to use them. Ok in the instructions it says that the TW tranny replacement is of a better tolerance but still I find it strange that these dust covers are not included. I see problems if I let my guys clean my car after a jungle trip, I'll bet they will damage the seals.......so dust/mud covers is a must, lets see what I can do.

Any more thoughts?

Cheers

Mark

Quick Reply: Tom Woods Diff/transmission seals