Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

tom woods 1310 read drive shaft vibration

Old 12-29-2014, 12:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebar-7
Thank God.. I personally would do uppers Adj CA's

Ordered!

Thanks for all the help everyone!

I'm biting my tongue because I can recall saying "I'll never need to know this stuff" in Geometry class.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:10 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by going_commando

OK, I finally got it.
Now, To fix the problem, In your opinion do you think only upper adj. will fix this issue or should I also order lowers?
Uppers will do the job. When you tilt the axle, your spring perches will rotate backwards. They already are rotated a little from the lift. Keep an eye on this, especially on the passenger side where that spring easily bows into your trackbar. Best fix is to cut off perches and weld back on top of repositioned axle.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:46 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

A little late, but from way back in post #6...

Originally Posted by nthinuf
If you go to Tom Woods website, you will find a bunch of good information in the 'JK' and 'Tech Info' areas, including diagrams of the angles you want with both factory and aftermarket shafts.
Which includes a section on vibrations/harmonics, maintenance/greasing, slopes/angles, etc, etc. Here is the diagram of the stock setup to go with the cv diagram that has been posted several times.

Click image for larger version

Name:	stock.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	589537
Click image for larger version

Name:	cv.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	589538

For the adjustable arms, they use various types of joints also, so you might want to do a little research before deciding based on one or two replies.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned is that unlike the stock shafts, you will probably need to drop the it occasionally to grease it. The center balls are kinda hard to get to with them installed.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:04 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

... Another thing that hasn't been mentioned is that unlike the stock shafts, you will probably need to drop the it occasionally to grease it. The center balls are kinda hard to get to with them installed.
At least of my front Tom Woods DS (rear is OEM) that grease fitting for the ball is very difficult to see. It is a recessed design that uses a needle grease gun fitting, rather than the Zert fittings that are used on the rest of the driveshaft. Easy to overlook when lubing the DS, which should be done every few thousand miles. Tom Woods recommends every six months or so to lube that ball. If this isn't making sense to anyone reading it who owns one of these shafts, drop the shaft and bend the double Cardin joint so it's open. Rotate around until you see the recessed grease fitting. This is the adapter you need to grease it ...

http://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Lubric...grease+fitting

If you pay someone to lube your Jeep, be sure they know what they are doing with that driveshaft. I can tell you from experience what happens if it doesn't get lubed: It will start to squeak, wearing down the metal on the shaft. Repair is to send it back to Tom Woods and they will fix. In my case, I paid for parts only with free labor. I tried to have repaired locally, but no one would touch it. So, best to not do what I did by overlooking that hidden fitting.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:51 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
At least of my front Tom Woods DS (rear is OEM) that grease fitting for the ball is very difficult to see. It is a recessed design that uses a needle grease gun fitting, rather than the Zert fittings that are used on the rest of the driveshaft. Easy to overlook when lubing the DS, which should be done every few thousand miles. Tom Woods recommends every six months or so to lube that ball. If this isn't making sense to anyone reading it who owns one of these shafts, drop the shaft and bend the double Cardin joint so it's open. Rotate around until you see the recessed grease fitting. This is the adapter you need to grease it ...

Amazon.com: Lincoln Lubrication 5803 Grease Needle Nozzle: Automotive

If you pay someone to lube your Jeep, be sure they know what they are doing with that driveshaft. I can tell you from experience what happens if it doesn't get lubed: It will start to squeak, wearing down the metal on the shaft. Repair is to send it back to Tom Woods and they will fix. In my case, I paid for parts only with free labor. I tried to have repaired locally, but no one would touch it. So, best to not do what I did by overlooking that hidden fitting.
when i got the DS I received a plastic needle I'm assuming the DS is lubed already but I am going to drop it again and make sure to lube the ball.
Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:30 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by going_commando
when i got the DS I received a plastic needle I'm assuming the DS is lubed already but I am going to drop it again and make sure to lube the ball.
Thanks for the tip.
You're right, I forgot about that. I have an adapter kit with a bunch of different fittings so just used that one. But now that you mention it, I do recall receiving some plastic tool.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:31 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

A good driveshaft maintenance video by the folks at Teraflex. Worth a few minutes when you get a chance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t65eVJGBgxk
Old 01-05-2015, 07:36 AM
JK Newbie

Hey guys i ordered the arms on the 29th and Rock Krawler is giving me an ETA for next week, Is it ok to still drive the Jeep with the pinion angle in the wrong position? I don't want to cause any more damage...
Old 01-05-2015, 10:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP: There was a lot of good help and information in this thread but here are some additional thoughts.

You said you snapped the rear shaft. I am going to assume there was either some wheel hop or a big load hit that caused this. In either case, I would open the rear diff and inspect the R&P teeth. It is very likely that whatever force that snapped the DS has done some damage here. I would also jack up the rear-end and spin the rear tires to see if the shaft flanges are bent. Both can cause vibration and have happened when the DS snapped.

Also you mentioned that you went with a 1310 jointed shaft. This is fine, but realize that the 1310 joint is actually far weaker than the stock shaft was. If you drive the same way again I would carry spare joints. (Especially if they are the cheaper and standard ones Tom Woods uses rather than the solid Spicers)

Lastly, I have known several Tom Woods shafts to arrive brand new out of balance. You might want to have this checked at a local DS shop should the problem persist.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:06 AM
JK Newbie

A little late, but from way back in post #6...

Which includes a section on vibrations/harmonics, maintenance/greasing, slopes/angles, etc, etc. Here is the diagram of the stock setup to go with the cv diagram that has been posted several times.

Attachment 589537
Attachment 589538

For the adjustable arms, they use various types of joints also, so you might want to do a little research before deciding based on one or two replies.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned is that unlike the stock shafts, you will probably need to drop the it occasionally to grease it. The center balls are kinda hard to get to with them installed.
So, I'm a little confused on this. The stock setup technically isn't either of those since stock is an rzeppa not a single cardan (image 1). I don't completely get why an rzeppa/single cardan would require a different set of angles (specifically the pinion angle) than a double cardan/single cardan. Is it just the mass of the spinning double cardan that gets wonky when its spinning faster than normal?

For what its worth, this isn't purely academic for me. I've got my front driveshaft off right now because the boot on the cv failed. 3.5" aev lift using the aev brackets so my pinion is 6 degrees off of perpendicular to my driveshaft (ie, 91 and 7). So I'm faced with either repairing the stock shaft (no clue when the boot ruptured) or figuring out how to properly cant (cast?) my pinion and buying a double cardan. Is finding someone (woods) to build a shaft with a double cardan on each end a reasonable tactic?

Sorry for the novel.

Quick Reply: tom woods 1310 read drive shaft vibration