Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

tom woods 1310 read drive shaft vibration

Old 12-29-2014, 10:58 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by going_commando
update, I took the rear DS off to get a more accurate measurement and found the rear is at 7 degrees as the Transfer case is at 8 1/2.(the close up pic of the angle finder is the TC) I then drove the Jeep and the slight vibration was not there. I re-checked both the pinion nut and TC nut torque and both are good.

My question for you is would 1 1/2 degree cause this slight vibration I am feeling from 25-35 mph only under acceleration?
It is a very slight vibration that only I can notice, Would Upper adj. CA be necessary to prevent future damage?

any help is appreciated.

It sounds like you are comparing the angle at the t-case to the angle at the pinion.

The t-case angle is of no concern, (within reason, of course).
It's the angle at the pinion you need to get as close to zero as possible. The difference between the line of the pinion axis, and the line of the drive shaft axis, needs to be less than 3°, preferably 0°.
This is all because you have a double cardan at the t-case, with a single cardan at the pinion.

The joints in the double cardan cancel each other when they are displaced from straight.
When the single joint at the pinion isn't straight, it throws it's inherent vibration into the drive shaft, without another joint to cancel it out.
Cross type u-joints speed up and slow down twice with each revolution. That's a source of vibration when you don't have an even number of properly indexed and aligned u-joints on a shaft.

Last edited by ronjenx; 12-29-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:07 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

update, I took the rear DS off to get a more accurate measurement and found the rear is at 7 degrees ...

any help is appreciated.
This is a really useful article that explains pinion angle, and why if not set properly you have vibrations. Once you understand the stresses your DS is having, I think you'll have a better idea of what you need to do, and why you should do it.

http://www.4x4wire.com/tech/pinionangle/
Old 12-29-2014, 11:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronjenx

It sounds like you are comparing the angle at the t-case to the angle at the pinion.

It's the angle at the pinion you need to get as close to zero as possible. The line of the pinion axis, and the line of the drive shaft axis, need to be less than 3°, preferably 0°.
Yes, this ^^^^^^.....
Old 12-29-2014, 11:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's the angle at the pinion you need to get as close to zero as possible. The difference between the line of the pinion axis, and the line of the drive shaft axis, needs to be less than 3°, preferably 0°.
This is all because you have a double cardan at the t-case, with a single cardan at the pinion.

The joints in the double cardan cancel each other when they are displaced from straight.
When the single joint at the pinion isn't straight, it throws it's inherent vibration into the drive shaft, without another joint to cancel it out.
Cross type u-joints speed up and slow down twice with each revolution. That's a source of vibration when you don't have an even number of properly indexed and aligned u-joints on a shaft.

Holy Hell my pinion angle is at 7 and I need to be at 0? Will just adj. uppers take care of this? Or will i need the lowers too?
Old 12-29-2014, 11:11 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sometimes a picture...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Double_Cardan_driveshaft.gif
Views:	108
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	589518

You want the dif pointed directly at the drive shaft or 1 or 2 degrees lower as it does rotate up a little under load.

Last edited by 14Sport; 12-29-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:16 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Holy Hell my pinion angle is at 7 and I need to be at 0? Will just adj. uppers take care of this? Or will i need the lowers too?
The angle finder on the pinion reads 7°, but is that after zero-ing it on the drive shaft? You need to know the difference between the pinion axis and the drive shaft axis.
(Like in the photo 14Sport posted, above.)
Old 12-29-2014, 11:23 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 14Sport
Sometimes a picture...

Attachment 589518

You want the dif pointed directly at the drive shaft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgmXg5EIF8w I watched this hence why I was trying to match the TC and Pinion angle. I will be purchasing adj uppers tonight. I can't stand this annoying vibration
Old 12-29-2014, 11:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm on a slow connection so can't watch the video but it is probably for a stock driveshaft, CVs are different.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:30 AM
JK Newbie

The angle finder on the pinion reads 7°, but is that after zero-ing it on the drive shaft? You need to know the difference between the pinion axis and the drive shaft axis.
(Like in the photo 14Sport posted, above.)

Like this?

I put the angle finder on both ends of the DS and the measurements are the same
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	JEEP DS 1.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	589522   Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep ds2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	589523  
Old 12-29-2014, 11:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 14Sport
I'm on a slow connection so can't watch the video but it is probably for a stock driveshaft, CVs are different.
Yes, It looks to be a stock DS.

Quick Reply: tom woods 1310 read drive shaft vibration