Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

tom woods 1310 read drive shaft vibration

Old 12-28-2014, 05:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with what Mark has said. OP who installed the DS ? Are the Pinion nut and t-case yoke nut properly torqued ?
It's not un heard of to have a after market DS to be out of balance. Should
that be the case Tom Woods is very good about making things right. Take Marks advice....
Old 12-28-2014, 08:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebar-7
I agree with what Mark has said. OP who installed the DS ? Are the Pinion nut and t-case yoke nut properly torqued ?
It's not un heard of to have a after market DS to be out of balance. Should
that be the case Tom Woods is very good about making things right. Take Marks advice....
Might be a dumb question but any idea how to tighten the t-case nut without it turning?
Old 12-28-2014, 09:56 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by going_commando

Might be a dumb question but any idea how to tighten the t-case nut without it turning?
Try putting it in gear......
Old 12-29-2014, 06:53 AM
JK Newbie

Try putting it in gear......
The angles look ok to me? Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	589494   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	589495  
Old 12-29-2014, 07:44 AM
JK Newbie

The angles look ok to me? Thoughts?

Hopefully today i will have the time to pull the DS and run it in 4WD to see if the vib goes away, I'll also check the torque on both the T case and Pinion nut.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:44 AM
JK Freak

Any way you can post some wider view pics. I don't know kinda at a loss to help you Man.
Maybe Adj upper CA's try getting angle down a little from the pinion yoke to gale of the DS.. By chance the DS didn't
Get separated at any time prior to install . That could cause a balance issue.

Last edited by Rebar-7; 12-29-2014 at 07:58 AM.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Couple different things going on here. The advice about 3-3.5" was for the 3.8s. When the 3.6s came out, I was advised (helping a friend) to install the TF exhaust spacers to keep the DS from contacting the crossover on a 2.5" TF cool lift. Yet, I have a number of friends with 3.6s and 2.5" AEV lifts who never installed those spacers. Their rigs run fine. But we're into overlanding, not rock crawling. I'm trying to sort out if the exhaust spacers are needed at all, or maybe just for those who really get the rear axle drooped. And the answer may prove informative to you. Thoughts?
The exhaust spacers address the front driveshaft clearance. The op is getting vibes from his rear driveshaft due to incorrect pinion angle so what you are saying is not applicable in this case
Old 12-29-2014, 07:54 AM
JK Newbie

Any way you can post some wider view pics. I don't know kinda at a loss to help you Man.
Maybe Adj upper CA's try getting angle down a little 21/2-3.0* . By chance the DS didn't
Get separated at any time prior to install . That could cause a balance issue.

I'll try and post some better pictures when I am wearing proper clothing. Currently I'm at work in a shirt and tie climbing under the Jeep
I don't think the DS has separated however the box was beat to $%#^ from shipment.

I still believe I'll need to purchase adj uppers to fix this because the more I read about this issue the more it makes sense it's a pinion alignment issue.

Thanks again for your help
Old 12-29-2014, 08:02 AM
JK Freak

I'll try and post some better pictures when I am wearing proper clothing. Currently I'm at work in a shirt and tie climbing under the Jeep
I don't think the DS has separated however the box was beat to $%#^ from shipment.

I still believe I'll need to purchase adj uppers to fix this because the more I read about this issue the more it makes sense it's a pinion alignment issue.

Thanks again for your help
Yeah disregard those numbers I just put in there. Not right. Yeah the pinion on diff needs to be
In line with the DS as Much as poss.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:23 AM
JK Newbie

update, I took the rear DS off to get a more accurate measurement and found the rear is at 7 degrees as the Transfer case is at 8 1/2.(the close up pic of the angle finder is the TC) I then drove the Jeep and the slight vibration was not there. I re-checked both the pinion nut and TC nut torque and both are good.

My question for you is would 1 1/2 degree cause this slight vibration I am feeling from 25-35 mph only under acceleration?
It is a very slight vibration that only I can notice, Would Upper adj. CA be necessary to prevent future damage?

any help is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep rear pinion 2.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	589511   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep transfer case.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	589512  

Quick Reply: tom woods 1310 read drive shaft vibration