Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

tom woods 1310 read drive shaft vibration

Old 12-27-2014, 02:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by going_commando
Yeah I'm going to messure it today, I don't have the TF spacers

Just measured the rear and it's at a positive 4 degrees. Can you guys recommend a nice set of adj. upper control arms?
Is it ok to drive the Jeep with it at 4 degrees?
Old 12-27-2014, 03:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just measured the rear and it's at a positive 4 degrees. Can you guys recommend a nice set of adj. upper control arms?
Is it ok to drive the Jeep with it at 4 degrees?
Synergy, Currie, don't know about RK, TerraFlex. Just a few ...
Old 12-27-2014, 03:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rebar-7
Synergy, Currie, don't know about RK, TerraFlex. Just a few ...
TeraFlex Monster Rear Upper FlexArms | Jeep Parts and Accessories | Quadratec

Is this what I want? Also can I still drive the Jeep or will I do more damage?
Old 12-27-2014, 04:29 PM
JK Newbie

TeraFlex Monster Rear Upper FlexArms | Jeep Parts and Accessories | Quadratec

Is this what I want? Also can I still drive the Jeep or will I do more damage?
I still don't understand how this happened? Has anyone else had any DS issues with only a 2.5 inch lift? Most of what I'm reading is 3.5 + lift kits causing DS issues... I specifically didn't lift the Jeep that much to avoid this issue.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:22 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still don't understand how this happened? Has anyone else had any DS issues with only a 2.5 inch lift? Most of what I'm reading is 3.5 + lift kits causing DS issues... I specifically didn't lift the Jeep that much to avoid this issue.
It's probably the drive shaft then. Did you get the right length for the lift that you have?

I run the 2.5 AEV currently with the stock f/r drive shafts and no problems. Slap your OEM driveshaft back in without making any other adjustments and see if you still get the vibration. My ...... ** oops, didn't see your post about snapping the OEM one.

...and/or what nthinuf said....."Also, if you want to confirm/eliminate the shaft as the source, just pull if off and go for a drive in 4wd"

Last edited by DJ1; 12-27-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:30 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

And this doesn't explain the problem?

The stock shaft literally snapped clean, I had the rear end I'm some pretty thick $h*% and snap!
The issue you are mentioning relates to the steeper angles that the stock joints have to run at, the rubber boots get pinched and wear through and then spit out all the grease.

You broke the stock shaft and replaced with an aftermarket that uses different joints. Looking at the diagrams on Woods website, you can easily see the types of angles that each joint likes to run at, right? For the rear, you want the pinion pointed up at the tcase. (Up front it is harder, since you have to balance between good pinion angle and good caster.) If you don't want to mess with the pinion, see if you can find a take-off stock shaft for cheap, there are plenty of them floating around.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:22 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
And this doesn't explain the problem?

The issue you are mentioning relates to the steeper angles that the stock joints have to run at, the rubber boots get pinched and wear through and then spit out all the grease.

You broke the stock shaft and replaced with an aftermarket that uses different joints. Looking at the diagrams on Woods website, you can easily see the types of angles that each joint likes to run at, right? For the rear, you want the pinion pointed up at the tcase. (Up front it is harder, since you have to balance between good pinion angle and good caster.) If you don't want to mess with the pinion, see if you can find a take-off stock shaft for cheap, there are plenty of them floating around.
So you're suggesting I buy a stock shaft to solve the issue? Won't my pinion angle still be 4 degrees?
Old 12-27-2014, 06:58 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

No, my suggestion is to understand the problem before indiscriminately throwing money at it.

Start by pulling the rear shaft and going for a drive. Does the vibration go away? If you find that the new shaft is causing the vibes, check the balance. If the balance is good, and you decide to adjust the pinion angle, then add a set of arms. Or start with new arms and hope that was the fix.

Or, since you did not have vibes with the stock shaft, you have the option of going with another stocker. It wasn't the lift height or the angles that broke it, it was whatever you were stuck in...
Old 12-27-2014, 07:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
No, my suggestion is to understand the problem before indiscriminately throwing money at it.

Start by pulling the rear shaft and going for a drive. Does the vibration go away? If you find that the new shaft is causing the vibes, check the balance. If the balance is good, and you decide to adjust the pinion angle, then add a set of arms. Or start with new arms and hope that was the fix.

Or, since you did not have vibes with the stock shaft, you have the option of going with another stocker. It wasn't the lift height or the angles that broke it, it was whatever you were stuck in...
Perfect makes sense, thank you for the trouble shooting help hopefully the weather holds off tomorrow and I can climb under there. I'll report back with my findings.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:43 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Couple different things going on here. The advice about 3-3.5" was for the 3.8s. When the 3.6s came out, I was advised (helping a friend) to install the TF exhaust spacers to keep the DS from contacting the crossover on a 2.5" TF cool lift. Yet, I have a number of friends with 3.6s and 2.5" AEV lifts who never installed those spacers. Their rigs run fine. But we're into overlanding, not rock crawling. I'm trying to sort out if the exhaust spacers are needed at all, or maybe just for those who really get the rear axle drooped. And the answer may prove informative to you. Thoughts?

Quick Reply: tom woods 1310 read drive shaft vibration