Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

tom woods 1310 read drive shaft vibration

Old 12-26-2014, 03:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tom woods 1310 read drive shaft vibration

So I Snaped the rear drive shaft on my 13 jk and recently replaced it with a 1310 Tom woods DS, I can't tell wether it's my sub conscious noticing the vibration or if there is actually a vibration. When I have a passenger in the Jeep they do not feel it but at 25-30 MPH I can feel a slight vibration in the rear. Is it possible the DS is not balanced properly? Or does it just take some time to get use to? I don't experience any death wobble or bad vibration just a slight rumble. I have a 2.5 in teraflex lift kit installed a year ago.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:33 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

It could be a balance problem.

It could also be you have a misalignment between the rear pinion and the drive shaft.
When you have a double cardan joint at the t-case, the single cardan at the pinion need to be as close to zero degrees as you can get it. See if the rear pinion axis and the drive shaft axis are in a straight line.

The same goes for the front drive shaft, too, if it's the same type.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:35 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the reply what's the best way to test the angle?
Old 12-26-2014, 03:43 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by going_commando
Thanks for the reply what's the best way to test the angle?
An angle finder will help. The angle needs to be less than 3°, so if you can see that it's not straight, it's too much.

Another thought is that the pinion nut may not have been torqued properly. See if there is a lot of backlash, vertical, or side play in the pinion.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:47 PM
JK Newbie

I don't notice any backlash, I'll try mesuring the angles tomorrow. Thanks again
Old 12-26-2014, 04:02 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

If you go to Tom Woods website, you will find a bunch of good information in the 'JK' and 'Tech Info' areas, including diagrams of the angles you want with both factory and aftermarket shafts. And you can always just pick up the phone and call him with questions, he is a good person to deal with.

Also, if you want to confirm/eliminate the shaft as the source, just pull if off and go for a drive in 4wd
Old 12-27-2014, 03:09 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

So I Snaped the rear drive shaft on my 13 jk and recently replaced it with a 1310 Tom woods DS...
What others have said. Did you add adjustable rear upper control arms? If not, the pinion angle measurement will likely show you need to.

And, I'm curious: What happened to the OEM shaft that it failed?
Old 12-27-2014, 05:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
What others have said. Did you add adjustable rear upper control arms? If not, the pinion angle measurement will likely show you need to.

And, I'm curious: What happened to the OEM shaft that it failed?
I did not add adj. control arms I didn't think they were necesarry with only 2.5 inches of lift. The stock shaft literally snapped clean, I had the rear end I'm some pretty thick $h*% and snap! Right at the transfer case.
Old 12-27-2014, 06:02 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

I did not add adj. control arms I didn't think they were necesarry with only 2.5 inches of lift. The stock shaft literally snapped clean, I had the rear end I'm some pretty thick $h*% and snap! Right at the transfer case.
Measure that pinion and you'll know for sure if you need new control arms. Did you have the TF exhaust line spacers installed?
Old 12-27-2014, 06:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Measure that pinion and you'll know for sure if you need new control arms. Did you have the TF exhaust line spacers installed?
Yeah I'm going to messure it today, I don't have the TF spacers

Quick Reply: tom woods 1310 read drive shaft vibration