Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tolerate Negative Camber?

Old 04-03-2012, 08:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tolerate Negative Camber?

After adding a Teraflex 2.5 coil lift with 35s Sunday and getting an alignment today, my front passenger side has a -1.1 camber.

If I assume it's a bent C then an adjustable ball joint can fix this. So should I just get the passenger side or do I need both? Will welding on ORE's sleeves and gussets do anything besides causing this to bend further? I'd still need the ball joints which could end up being over $1000 with labor.

Assuming it's a bent tube, is it just worth leaving and tolerating it until it breaks for a Dynatrac ProRock 44 housing? For $1000 more will this be that much better than ball joints and welding? Ideally this would be best, but should I just wheel the stock 44 housing hard until it breaks or would this cause greater problems in the future?

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2012, 10:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Your only out of spec by 1/2 degree. You could just have bad ball joints. Had mine replaced under warranty at 36k miles. I can't see it costing a grand to have the ball joints replaced. Jack it up on the front axle and stick a board under the tire. If you get any movement in the tire/wheel when applying pressure upwards on the board, you have a bad ball joint. Camber spec is -.10 to -.60 degrees. Whad did the drivers side read? Just curuious. My passenger side read -1.1 also before I had the ball joints replaced. FWIW, the factory ball joints are shit with their plastic inners. I just had it done w OEM replacements because it was free. I will replace them w Moog BJ's when the OEM pieces of shit fail again.

Last edited by Topkicker1; 04-03-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks, Topkicker.

Passenger is -1.1 Driver is -0.4

I'll try the board test this weekend before I make any more assumptions.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rubi-WAC
Thanks, Topkicker.

Passenger is -1.1 Driver is -0.4

I'll try the board test this weekend before I make any more assumptions.
Ha! My driver's side was the same! Did you get any movement when prying up under the tire? You will definately feel it. Mine had a "click" in it when I pryed upwards.

Quick Reply: Tolerate Negative Camber?