Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Toe-in question with hydro assist

Old 06-30-2016, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Toe-in question with hydro assist

So I took my rig to a shop where a friend works where he threw it on their alignment system to read my current specs.

I have hydro assist.

I'm running the synergy tie rod which has an adjuster sleeve on the passenger side.

Current toe specs:

Driver = +0.73
Passenger = +0.2

In my head, I can't use the adjusting sleeve for this as I need to pull the driver side in while leaving the passenger stationary. I say that as the hydro mount is welded and so that can be used to hold he tie rod stationary.

The jeep does pull slightly to the driver side so that side being out more than the passenger corroborates that. (the hydro holding everything stationary).

So I'm thinking I need to drop the driver TRE and thread it in to the tie rod a bit while leaving the adjuster sleeve where it's at as well as no adjustment to the length of the hydro assist shaft.???

Am I thinking about this correctly?
Old 06-30-2016, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

For reference
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tie-rod.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	387.3 KB
ID:	651079  
Old 06-30-2016, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not at all knowledgeable on steering components, but I thought that the solid axle tie-rod style steering connection just had one toe-in reading. If the toe was off, you simply don't have a straight steering wheel. The toe is typically measured in inches as well, usually 1/8" is what I remember is normal. If you've bent your tie rod

Camber and castor can be off per side depending on what adjustability you've added or components you've bent or broken.

edit: meant to say if the toe was off side to side the steering wheel isn't straight. A bent tie rod would just make it harder to measure. Toe is just the difference of the measurement between the front and the rear of the wheel hub. A toe in of 1/8" means the front distance between the hubs is 1/8" less than the rear.

Last edited by Smudgeontheglass; 06-30-2016 at 09:19 AM.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:55 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Smudgeontheglass
I'm not at all knowledgeable on steering components, but I thought that the solid axle tie-rod style steering connection just had one toe-in reading. If the toe was off, you simply don't have a straight steering wheel. The toe is typically measured in inches as well, usually 1/8" is what I remember is normal. If you've bent your tie rod

Camber and castor can be off per side depending on what adjustability you've added or components you've bent or broken.
You can adjust toe and your steering wheel separately. Set toe then center wheel. Draglink does steering wheel. Toe is from tie rod...your hydro shouldn't effect anything as it's between your two adjustable ends...

Last edited by Maertz; 06-30-2016 at 08:59 AM.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

Maertz - So that's the bit I'm confused about. I see two ways to do this.

1. Unhook the heim joint tying the ram to the tie rod. Adjust toe. Adjust rod on ram to hook it back up.

2. Drop the TRE on the driver side and adjust the TRE OUT by about 1cm (0.423 inches).

I'm overthinking this. Option 1 is probably best.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

The synergy tie rod only has an adjuster on the passenger side.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:04 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by jedg
Maertz - So that's the bit I'm confused about. I see two ways to do this.

1. Unhook the heim joint tying the ram to the tie rod. Adjust toe. Adjust rod on ram to hook it back up.

2. Drop the TRE on the driver side and adjust the TRE OUT by about 1cm (0.423 inches).

I'm overthinking this. Option 1 is probably best.
Your ram is not holding any tires in place. Your tres are. Drop the driver tre and adjust.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:08 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by jedg
The synergy tie rod only has an adjuster on the passenger side.
I dont have one but it says on there website both sides use a left hand threaded tre?

It has to both adjust. Otherwise if the one side went out youd have to buy an all new tie rod? If that is true id never buy that product...

Also your pic says .02 while you typed .2?

You want both tires straight then to set half toe on each side and the one readout number would be total toe if I'm not mistaken?

If you cant drop the driverside far enough with the ram on yes you may have to take off one end.

Last edited by Maertz; 06-30-2016 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, passenger has an adjuster sleeve. Driver runs the TRE into the tie rod with a jam nut to hold it in place.

The reason I said option 1 is because of the above. If I don't unhook the ram and just use the adjuster sleeve on the passenger side, I don't believe it'll get me where I need to be as the ram would hold the tie rod in place an just move the passenger side.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Maertz
I dont have one but it says on there website both sides use a left hand threaded tre?

It has to both adjust. Otherwise if the one side went out youd have to buy an all new tie rod? If that is true id never buy that product...

Also your pic says .02 while you typed .2?

You want both tires straight then to set half toe on each side and the one readout number would be total toe if I'm not mistaken?

If you cant drop the driverside far enough with the ram on yes you may have to take off one end.
Yep. Typo. Should have been 0.02.

Quick Reply: Toe-in question with hydro assist