Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

toe in issue and sway bar problem

Old 04-13-2014, 10:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default toe in issue and sway bar problem

hey all, hoping someone can chime in...i've looked but cant seem to find help on this one....
just installed a new synergy tie rod...and although it is adjusted all the way in, i still have negative toe (1/8th of an inch)
suggestions?

second issue. Went to put on my disconnects but THIS time, the angle of the sway bar needs to be at a different angle (about 15-20 degrees above zero) AND the driver side needed to be adjusted. They would NOT go on using the same length....

any ideas on why/what to look at?
THANKS
Old 04-13-2014, 03:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ballistik_monkey
hey all, hoping someone can chime in...i've looked but cant seem to find help on this one....
just installed a new synergy tie rod...and although it is adjusted all the way in, i still have negative toe (1/8th of an inch)
suggestions?

second issue. Went to put on my disconnects but THIS time, the angle of the sway bar needs to be at a different angle (about 15-20 degrees above zero) AND the driver side needed to be adjusted. They would NOT go on using the same length....

any ideas on why/what to look at?
THANKS
1. Um not sure about your tie rod, is your rig lifted, what size tires ?
2. Are your discos stock or after market ?
Old 04-13-2014, 09:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rebar-7
1. Um not sure about your tie rod, is your rig lifted, what size tires ?
2. Are your discos stock or after market ?
2.5" AEV lift with 35 GY MTRs
discos are the JKS adjustable
Old 04-13-2014, 09:30 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well if you rig is not level and on flat ground the sway bar links will not line up with holes.Usually I can push or pull bumper up or down to get it to line up but ive had to jack on side up to align holes before. So in other words the links should be same length
Old 04-13-2014, 10:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tooadvanced
Well if you rig is not level and on flat ground the sway bar links will not line up with holes.Usually I can push or pull bumper up or down to get it to line up but ive had to jack on side up to align holes before. So in other words the links should be same length
yeah...it was in my garage...there is a VERY slight lean...but no where CLOSE to what i had to adjust the driver side to (almost a full inch out). I have put them on in there before with no issues. I am still rather confused as to how the angle would need to be changedas well. Its almost as if the discos grew....
Old 04-14-2014, 02:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the tie rod, you are adjusting the ends and the double adjustable part, correct? I have the same tie rod and have no issue getting the toe. I have plenty of threads showing on the ends as well. How are you measuring toe? Did you try lining it up with your stock bar?
Old 04-14-2014, 03:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
For the tie rod, you are adjusting the ends and the double adjustable part, correct? I have the same tie rod and have no issue getting the toe. I have plenty of threads showing on the ends as well. How are you measuring toe? Did you try lining it up with your stock bar?
yup. adjusting from the double adjuster end. I measured toe following WOLs procedure. Jacking up the Jeep, mark and measure....rotate the tires 180 and measure again. i know...kinda stumped on this one...not quite sure what the gig is.
i took the original toe measurements with the stock bar...then used that length to basically set the new tie rod. Put it on...measured toe, and then adjusted to correct the toe. But, with it adjusted all the way in, i am still 1/8" negative toe.
i just have this sneaking suspicion that it is either something really simple i am overlooking or doing wrong...or something that has a hefty price tag.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ballistik_monkey
yup. adjusting from the double adjuster end. I measured toe following WOLs procedure. Jacking up the Jeep, mark and measure....rotate the tires 180 and measure again. i know...kinda stumped on this one...not quite sure what the gig is.
i took the original toe measurements with the stock bar...then used that length to basically set the new tie rod. Put it on...measured toe, and then adjusted to correct the toe. But, with it adjusted all the way in, i am still 1/8" negative toe.
i just have this sneaking suspicion that it is either something really simple i am overlooking or doing wrong...or something that has a hefty price tag.
Back the double adjuster out (more negative toe) and then screw the rod end in a bit more and start again with the double adjuster to fine tune. The double adjuster is to fine tune, but you need to get close with the rod ends first. E.g. loosen the passenger side jam nut, unbolt the rod end, and turn it in to shorten.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, you're going to have to adjust the tie rod in on the drivers side more or thread the tie rod in on the passenger side more.....or both. I just went through this with my Synergy tie rod and had to take it back off. When I adjusted the passenger side with 1/4 inches (like instructions say) of thread showing it was too long. Whatever I did, I could not get enough toe. I ended up having to take the tie rod off again and get it all set with the wheels off. For what it's worth, I take my wheels off and use two 36 inch straight square pieces of aluminum from Lowes and clamp them to the my rotors right under the hub to adjust toe. I don't use the tire anymore because I don't find it to be accurate enough. I mark the middle of the square pieces and measure from the front and back because I have 35's. This gets me really, really close with my toe.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

so, here is the follow up...you guys were spot on. Mello, took your advice and turned the passenger end so that less than the 1/4" of the thread (as per instruction) was showing. That helped out a LOT. Then did exactly what Invest said. THANKS GUYS! it is now SPOT ON at 1/8" positive toe.
I also am glad i got under there....the grease just spilled out everywhere...guess i overfilled. Heard too many horror stories about NOT getting the grease in there immediately and went a little wild.

again...thanks guys.

now if i can just figure out how my sway bar links seemed to grow overnight.... weird.

Quick Reply: toe in issue and sway bar problem