Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

TMPS Tire Swap

Old 06-22-2009, 09:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TMPS Tire Swap

So i am buying a new-to-me Rubi and selling My Sahara. I am going to move my Wheels and tires from my Sahara (33" KM2 on Pintlers) over to the Rubi and but the Rubi Wheels on the Sahara before I sell the Sahara. It occured to me that the TPMS on my current KM2s are setup for the sahara, and the Rubi wheels to the rubi... If I just want to swap tires, what is the best way to get the Rubi to Read the KM2's TMPS and to get the Sahara to read the old Rubi Wheel TPMS?

I have no idea how the TPMS system works so your ideas please.

Thanks
Old 06-22-2009, 09:30 AM
JK Junkie

Once you make the switch, the computor will recognize it after a short drive and you will be fine
Old 06-22-2009, 09:30 AM
JK Freak

I don't think there's much to do... just drive.

I don't have TPMS on the JK, but I do on the 'vette... and it may show as missing for a bit, but it should find the new ones in a few miles...

worst case scenario, its worth a shot... just drive around for a few miles.

I believe its the same situation for tire rotations, the sensors on the jeep finds the closest TPMS doo-hickey and reports its pressure... (thus why front right tire is always front right, not the tire that gets moved to rear, etc in rotation)

hope i didn't confuse you with that last bit...
Old 06-22-2009, 09:39 AM
JK Freak

if thats the case, that will make things SOOOO much easier.. I thought I would either going to have to go to dealership and have them reprogram or worse have to take TPMS off each tire and move to other jeep...

Great news indeed... Cant wait for my new Rubi
Old 06-22-2009, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I did the same thing. I also was concerned about TPMS issues. NO NEED TO EVEN THINK ABOUT IT.

It can't be any easier...just swap the wheels and drive the jeep around for awhile...
Old 06-22-2009, 11:37 AM
JK Freak

Like others have said, just do the swap. I was told that at about 40 miles of driving, it would recognize the sensors, my Jeep only took about 5 minutes to do so!!!
Old 10-19-2016, 07:03 AM
JK Newbie

I bought 33" ko2's with fuel hostage rims. I swapped out the old tpms sensors and had them placed on the new wheels. The front right and rear left kept tripping. I went and purchased two new sensors and the same ones keep tripping. Any tips ?
Old 10-19-2016, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts

hrm... I thought they switched up something on them in 2012? So like the 2007-2011 are not compatible with the 2012+?
Old 10-19-2016, 07:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just make sure it's the same year jeep. I bought some used wheels/tires from a local member I forgot what year his was but mine is a 2012 and after I put them on TPMS sensor was triggered. I had even asked the owner if the TPMS sensors were working and he said yes. Never had a problem. I took it the dealership and even their reader couldn't pick up the signal. I ended up just buying TPMS sensors online for my year JK. Problem solved.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

2013 got an optional advance monitor that you could see the TPMS pressure reading for each tire but I believe it uses the same sensor as before.

Quick Reply: TMPS Tire Swap