Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tires on the way... Can i drive them?

Old 02-07-2014, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires on the way... Can i drive them?

Just a quick question for you folks that are experienced with new tires/wheels. I placed my order today for my new tires/wheels and of course, they're being shipped to my house mounted and balanced. I suppose I need to go get an alignment with them? That being said, can I put them on myself and drive down to the tire shop or what?

Any insight in to what all I'll need to do when they arrive would be most helpful! Thanks ahead
Old 02-07-2014, 06:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No you don't need an alignment for new wheels and tires, completely unrelated. If you've gone bigger, you can set the toe in accordingly with a wrench, tape measure and jack stand
Old 02-07-2014, 06:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put them on and drive them. See how they act. Get up to highway speeds and cruise around a bit at different speeds. Wouldn't hurt to maybe drive to a tire shop and have then look them over or check the balance. Things can happen during shipping.

Oh inspect then first and check tire pressure before just slapping them on and driving of course. lol.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:47 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by kh202
No you don't need an alignment for new wheels and tires. If you've gone bigger, you can set the toe in accordingly with a wrench, tape measure and jack stand
What about draglink. Can't remember if I had to adjust mine when I put bigger tires on.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:48 PM
JK Junkie

just slap em on and adjust the toe in as needed.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:50 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
What about draglink. Can't remember if I had to adjust mine when I put bigger tires on.
Bigger tires don't change anything with suspension geometry. Now a lift to accommodate bigger tires is different That's not to say you don't need to upgrade some things up if you want to run big tires, but adjustment wise, no.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:56 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
No.

Tires do not change the steering geometry. Suspension changes can change steering geometry.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:56 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by kh202
Bigger tires don't change anything with suspension geometry. Now a lift to accommodate bigger tires is different That's not to say you don't need to upgrade some things up if you want to run big tires, but adjustment wise, no.
I thought so. Was so long ago I couldn't remember brain fart
Old 02-07-2014, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, thanks for the info guys! What's up with "checking the toe in"... Not sure what that means? I'm going from Sahara 18's with the stock Duelers to some 33's on 16 inch wheels.

Last edited by ouroborus2012; 02-07-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ouroborus2012
Ok, thanks for the info guys! What's up with "checking the toe"... Not sure what that means? I'm going from Sahara 18's with the stock Duelers to some 33's on 16 inch wheels.
your fine with Bolton them on and rolling, if alignment is ok now will be ok then... It's just a new tire and wheel, nothing in the suspension is changing... It is really that simple...

Quick Reply: Tires on the way... Can i drive them?