Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tires from tirerack.com

Old 05-09-2008, 06:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires from tirerack.com

I was wondering if anyone has bought any tires from tirerack.com
On their web site they say they have Installer in every area that have agree to install Mounting & Balancing (per tire) at a set price. One of the Installers in my area is Tire Kingdom. Now I am not sure how Tire Kingdom feels doing this because it seems to me it would under cut them. I could save a hundred to two hundred on a set of four doing it this way.

Tirerack.com explains- How It Works
1. Shop our selection of products for your vehicle and add what you need to your cart.
2. Take a look at the Recommended Installers in your area and read consumer reviews and pricing information.
3. Before checkout, select your Installer and save it to your addresses in "My Account" for later. -OR- While in the cart, select your Installer and your order will be shipped directly to them.
4. Call your Recommended Installer to set up an appointment (where available).
5. Drive in for installation.

These are the tires I am looking at. Any input on these tires is also greatly appreciated too. I was looking for a tire that can hold up well on a gravel road. The Good year Wranglers I have now with only 20,000 miles on them need replaced. I have notice once they start to wear down some they get cuts or pick up everything on road and then go flat. I have had already one tire that is shot with a big patch and another tire I just got it patched yesterday.
BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM (Off Road Max. Traction)
Sidewall Style: Blackwall
Size: 255/75QR17
Serv. Desc: 111/108Q Load Index 111 = 2409lbs (1095kg) per tire
Load Index 108 = 2205lbs (1000kg) per tire
Speed Rating “Q” = 99mph (160kph) Load Rating C
Price: $122.00 (each) Closeout
Estimated Availability: In Stock

Last edited by Blue Dog; 05-09-2008 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Wrong font size
Old 05-09-2008, 06:52 AM
JK Freak

What will happen is the installer will probably over charge or charge you good to mount the tires.........

I have bought from TireRack before, they are good, ship fast etc...........

But if you are going with after market wheels and tires I would check out Discount tire direct........ they would mount and balance for free if you bought from them and they would also match the price of tire rack.

Either way you cant go wrong.......... but remember tire rack charges shipping, and the installer will probably charge 60-100 bucks to mount and balance them for you...
Old 05-09-2008, 06:53 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nothing against TireRack, but I prefer to buy tires locally. It's a lot easier to ger warranty issues handled in person. Not only that, but most tire shops offer free rotate and balancing and flat repairs for the life of the tire. Tire shops will usually not offer that from tires not purchased from them, even if they are the same brand as the shop sells. Now, like I said, that's just how "I" do it. I've had good luck buying locally, too.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:37 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Nothing against TireRack, but I prefer to buy tires locally. It's a lot easier to ger warranty issues handled in person. Not only that, but most tire shops offer free rotate and balancing and flat repairs for the life of the tire. Tire shops will usually not offer that from tires not purchased from them, even if they are the same brand as the shop sells. Now, like I said, that's just how "I" do it. I've had good luck buying locally, too.

I would do it like that but I have yet to find a local type shop match prices on anything...........they tend to over price there tires around here - not saying they do where ever you are.

Firestone was the exception for me....I have a local Firestone shop...... I got 5 33 inch Firestone Dest M/T ... mount and balance, Damage protection, which the guy said If I ripped them offroad or anything they would eihter fix them or replace free , lifetime rotation, lifetime alignment, out the door for just under $1200.

I acutally do try to go to the local guy everynow and again but they are always always over priced

But I would prefer to save $300 or so and just pay someone 8 -12 bucks a tire to mount if i hadnt found the firestone place
Old 05-09-2008, 07:56 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by derekls
I would do it like that but I have yet to find a local type shop match prices on anything...........they tend to over price there tires around here - not saying they do where ever you are.

Firestone was the exception for me....I have a local Firestone shop...... I got 5 33 inch Firestone Dest M/T ... mount and balance, Damage protection, which the guy said If I ripped them offroad or anything they would eihter fix them or replace free , lifetime rotation, lifetime alignment, out the door for just under $1200.

I acutally do try to go to the local guy everynow and again but they are always always over priced

But I would prefer to save $300 or so and just pay someone 8 -12 bucks a tire to mount if i hadnt found the firestone place
I can understant that. Price isn't everything, though. Will TireRack come rotate your tires free or fix flat repairs free? If you decide to step up to another tire, will TireRack offer you a trade in on your old tires? Will TireRack be in business 10 years from now? You see where I'm goin? There's more than just the money involved....at least for ME. The man I do business with owns a small tire shop and he's been there for 41 years. He is getting ready to retire and his son will take over. I'd rather pay more for honest service from someone that I can SEE and shake hands with. Like I said though, that's just my opinion. Lastly, I wouldn't purchase tires from a national chain if that was the only place to buy. I would just walk.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:10 AM
JK Newbie

I've bought from Tirerack. Always happy with them. I look at it this way:
What works for me:
The shipping cost helps offset the state sales tax that I don't have to pay.
I rotate and plug tires myself.
Local service stations around here charge around $8-$10 tire to mount, (usually cash).

What I don't like:
Warranty follow-up could be a pain.
Local shops and Sears won't match TR.
Tirerack doesn't sell Cooper tires, (which I like).
Places like Sears have 0% financing. Not sure if TR has any financing specials?

It's all what you're looking for.

Now go get those BFG MT's for $98!
Old 05-09-2008, 08:44 AM
JK Newbie

I bought 5 of those BFG M/Ts from Tire Rack about two weeks ago for $95 each. I had them dropped shipped to the installer. It was two days from the time I ordered the tires till UPS dropped them off at the tire store (regular shipping). They were stacked waiting for me to show up. I brought my five new wheels with me. The dealer unloaded my wheels, unpacked them, inspected them and test fit them before mounting the new tires. When they were done they helped me load the old tire/wheels in my Jeep. I thought it was the best experience I have had buying tires. A big thumbs up from me.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:29 AM
JK Newbie

i have got 2 sets of tires from tirerack. one for my vw and one for my old lib. tires were a great price and were shipped really quick. i just went down to super walmart and had them installed for 8 bucks per tire. i really dont worry about the warranty cuz with the cost savings i could afford to buy a new tire.

just my 2 cents
Old 05-09-2008, 10:21 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

I bought a set of tires for my (at that time it was mine, anyway) F-150 from tirerack.com. Great service. I didn't use their recommended installer--just went to a local alignment shop and had them do the work. They were happy to do it.

Having said that, I didn't buy my most recent wheels and tires from them and I'm glad of that. When I actually went to a store and looked at the wheels I'd picked online, they were hideous! The fake beadlock screamed, "FAKE!" I decided to go with something I'd seen at a local Four Wheel Parts store, and I'm glad I did.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you are buying a stock size tire, pretty much anyone will install it for you. The previous posters lay out some pretty good points. Most of the road hazard warranty stuff is going to cost extra so having them "fix a flat" may not be too much of a bonus when all they are doing is plugging it. Right now I am partial to Discount Tire Direct because of my recent dealings with them. Their $22 road hazzard will let me send them a flat tire and they send me a new one. Plus, they are are a sponsor and are running a sale right now. I believe they will match any advertised price, but I don't presume to speak for them. Good luck any way you choose.

Brian

Quick Reply: Tires from tirerack.com