Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

tires for a stock rim and 2.5 bb

Old 06-04-2008, 09:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had 285/70R17's on my stock 17's and had significant rubbing at full turn. I ended up going with some ProComp steel wheels as they were right around the same price as spacers.

I do, however, still get the occasional rub in reverse at full turn. Going forward doesn't rub at all. I should have my lift installed next week...I'll let you know if there's any issues once that's all said and done.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TEEJ
The rub is about the tire WIDTH, NOT THE DIAMETER...so saying "33's" means nothing, unless you also specify the width.

The specific TIRE, and your individual jeep also matter, as some people clear with 285's, and some don't, etc.

So - if the tire rubs on wheel well side (inboard) components, you need to spacce the tire outboard to make room...if the tire is an inch wider, a 1/2" more room inboard is needed, etc.

You can either get wheel spacers for ~ $50 per rim, or, buy new rims with less backspacing.

The stock rims have 6.25" of BS...the more BS, the tighter inboard the rim is...the less BS, the more outboard, and the more room to clear inboard components.

If you get a 12.5" wide tire, say 305 - 315 mm section width-ish....then most people find they need about 4.75" of BS to clear, some only need 5" of BS to clear, etc.

To get the above BS...either a new rim with that BS, or, spacers that reduce the BS to that range (1.25 - 1.5"), will work.

Hope that helps!

Looks like an awful lot of BS to me.

Quick Reply: tires for a stock rim and 2.5 bb