Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

tires for a stock rim and 2.5 bb

Old 06-03-2008, 09:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tires for a stock rim and 2.5 bb

Hey guys,

first time posting, I'm wondering if I run 33 in tires on my stock 17 inch sahara rim will I need to run spacers? I see a lot posts about 33 and rubbing with out a lift and 33's needing spacers without a lift but is anyone running 33 on stock wheels with a lift and no spacers?

thanks!
Old 06-03-2008, 09:25 PM
JK Freak

You will need spacers due to the width of the tires, forget the spacers and just get wheels with more backspace!
Old 06-03-2008, 09:45 PM
JK Freak

It all depends on the tire. Anything wider than a 285mm section width (~11.2 in.) will typically rub at full lock.

I would test fit your tires first to see if you really need spacers. My guess is that the rubbing will be very minimal, and if that is the case then you can simply do a steer stop adjustment using a couple washers to prevent any rubbing.

Here's the write-up on how to do that:
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...top-adjustment
Old 06-04-2008, 03:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by agent66
Hey guys,

first time posting, I'm wondering if I run 33 in tires on my stock 17 inch sahara rim will I need to run spacers? I see a lot posts about 33 and rubbing with out a lift and 33's needing spacers without a lift but is anyone running 33 on stock wheels with a lift and no spacers?

thanks!

I thought Saharas came with 18s? No?
Old 06-04-2008, 04:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Without spacers regardless of lift you will get rub on front AND rear. (LOTS ON THE REAR SWAY BAR)

Anyway, either buy new rims, OR, if your like me, simply put on 1.25 in spacers (big price difference) and get NO RUB.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

The rub is about the tire WIDTH, NOT THE DIAMETER...so saying "33's" means nothing, unless you also specify the width.

The specific TIRE, and your individual jeep also matter, as some people clear with 285's, and some don't, etc.

So - if the tire rubs on wheel well side (inboard) components, you need to spacce the tire outboard to make room...if the tire is an inch wider, a 1/2" more room inboard is needed, etc.

You can either get wheel spacers for ~ $50 per rim, or, buy new rims with less backspacing.

The stock rims have 6.25" of BS...the more BS, the tighter inboard the rim is...the less BS, the more outboard, and the more room to clear inboard components.

If you get a 12.5" wide tire, say 305 - 315 mm section width-ish....then most people find they need about 4.75" of BS to clear, some only need 5" of BS to clear, etc.

To get the above BS...either a new rim with that BS, or, spacers that reduce the BS to that range (1.25 - 1.5"), will work.

Hope that helps!

Old 06-04-2008, 04:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Volley
I thought Saharas came with 18s? No?
some of the 2007 saharas come with 17´s
Old 06-04-2008, 06:50 AM
JK Newbie

thanks guys... 5 reply's overnight this site rocks... I'm starting to think that maybe going with aftermarket rims might be the beter route... smaller too as it seems 17 inch tires are crazy expensive. I could get a set of steelies for about the same price as the wheels spacers would cost me...

again thanks for all the input
Old 06-04-2008, 07:54 AM
JK Newbie

I went with the Toyo's for the narrow width so I could avoid spacers. If I did it again, probably new rims with better offset and slightly wider tires. But I do not have any rubbing currently.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:40 AM
JK Newbie

If (BIG IF) you end up needing spacers I would highly recomend shelling out a little extra for some new rims instead. I went with Steel Cragar "D's" and love them. They are a whee bit on the heavy side but it's nice to know if I bang 'em up pretty bad it's cheaper to replace. You might not get much $$$ in return for the stock rims but it could offset the cost a bit. Just my .02

Quick Reply: tires for a stock rim and 2.5 bb