Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tires and Spacers

Old 08-27-2014, 10:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could run 285 75 17 on stock wheels 11.5 width no spacers needed just a couple of washers behind steering stop bolts so they won't rub front sway bars at full steering lock. Minimal steering radius loss by shimming out stop bolts.
Besides wheel spacers put undo leverage force stress on axles, bearings and steering joints resulting in pre-mature wear or bent axle ends.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the 1.5 spidertrax, most likely if you are using your stock wheels you will need the spacers.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:36 AM
JK Newbie

Besides wheel spacers put undo leverage force stress on axles, bearings and steering joints resulting in pre-mature wear or bent axle ends.[/QUOTE]

Are you saying that with wheel spacers you will cause these issues. Because wouldn't a wheel with a longer offset throw off the balance of the axle?
Old 08-28-2014, 12:49 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by TXJKU
Are you saying that with wheel spacers you will cause these issues. Because wouldn't a wheel with a longer offset throw off the balance of the axle?
You are correct. Any extra wear and tear will happen whichever way you choose to move the tires out. Whether it is stock rims + 1.75" spacers for an effective 4.5" backspace, or new rims with a 4.5" backspace - you have moved the tires out by 1.75". The negative to spacers is that there are extra parts thrown in the mix that need to be installed correctly, and maintained.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:39 PM
JK Newbie

So is there a way to put bigger tires without put extra stress on the axles or that just something that comes with the territory, because if that is the case then I'm fine with that, I wanna redo the gears, lock and strengthen the axles when I put 35s on it and that will be until it is paid off.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just my opinion, everyone has different ones on spacers, but I ran the rough country's of my buddies and I hated the ride, it felt like it had a shimmie in it, maybe cause it was the cheaper rough country brand, all I know is I took them out and it rode perfect I just couldn't turn to full lock. I've since just bought 4.5 inch back spaced wheels and it rides like stock. So if you've never had spacers on you might wanna think about that also
Old 08-29-2014, 06:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Blackrubi13
Just my opinion, everyone has different ones on spacers, but I ran the rough country's of my buddies and I hated the ride, it felt like it had a shimmie in it, maybe cause it was the cheaper rough country brand, all I know is I took them out and it rode perfect I just couldn't turn to full lock. I've since just bought 4.5 inch back spaced wheels and it rides like stock. So if you've never had spacers on you might wanna think about that also
I plan on going with Spidertrax I have heard good things about that. I have looked at all the options and on spacers and there are only a few that are worth notable from my research and RC spacers were not one of them.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:09 AM
JK Newbie

So even with spacers I will still rub when I turn all the way? I also have a 2.5 inch lift so would that change things?
From what I've read, it's different with each tire size/brand. I have 1.5" spacers on stock wheels with 35s. Removing the air dam (fake plastic front skid) stopped the rubbing issue. Jeep also looks better without it
Old 09-02-2014, 05:18 PM
JK Newbie

So what is a good tire in that 285/70/17? I have been looking at nitro terra grappler, bfg KO, and hankook dynapro mts. I wonder what tires people have and like.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:52 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

So what is a good tire in that 285/70/17? I have been looking at nitro terra grappler, bfg KO, and hankook dynapro mts. I wonder what tires people have and like.
GY Adventure AT is what I have in that size. Pics and related are in my boring build thread. Being an AT style tread, probably not as good in mud as some of the tires you mentioned.

Last edited by Mr.T; 09-02-2014 at 06:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Tires and Spacers