Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tires size

Old 07-27-2015, 03:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires size

Currently running 35/12.50/18 MT's on my 2012 jk 3.5 lift auto.. Want to run maybe 11 instead of 12.5 any feed back since 70% of driving is highway on this is my DD ?
Old 07-27-2015, 10:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What tire did you find in a 35X11R18?
Old 07-27-2015, 11:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish by doing that? Is it a handling issue? If you are trying to improve MPG, that isn't going to do much. For better MPG, you can run a small diameter, go to a lower rolling resistance all-season tire, or get the appropriate gearing in your axles. Reducing weight and improving aerodynamics would be ideal, but the cost would offset any benefot.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:19 PM
JK Newbie

Not MPG more for ride and handling quality most of driving is at 55mph average .. Like my 35' for off roads mostly mud.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by forejeeper
Not MPG more for ride and handling quality most of driving is at 55mph average .. Like my 35' for off roads mostly mud.
I can't imagine a noticeable improvement in handling. And if you like mud I'd hate to give up the wide foot print....wider is better with mud, keeps you "floating" higher, you start digging with narrow tires and you'll be stuck quick.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:40 PM
JK Newbie

Yes my only concern is off road muddling ..
Old 07-27-2015, 01:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tarpon4me
What tire did you find in a 35X11R18?
Haven't looked hard enough to find any yet I'd probably want to see them on a jeep 1st to ask some questions.. My MT are doing well as far as 40k on the miles with time left and noise doesn't bother me.. Just a little on the handling because it's a DD
Old 07-27-2015, 01:50 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by forejeeper
Not MPG more for ride and handling quality most of driving is at 55mph average ..

Just a little on the handling because it's a DD
What ride handling issues are you trying to fix that you assume are related to the wide vs narrow tires?

Could it instead be related to the alignment? Lack of components to compensate for the lift? Running too much psi?
Old 07-27-2015, 02:06 PM
srg
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TJinaJKU
I can't imagine a noticeable improvement in handling. And if you like mud I'd hate to give up the wide foot print....wider is better with mud, keeps you "floating" higher, you start digging with narrow tires and you'll be stuck quick.
There's two trains of thought with that.
You mentioned one, the other is skinny tires cut thru the slop better to get down onto the harder packed soil underneath. Farmers have been doing it that way for decades. It's one reason you see tractors that do the plowing of fields (the hard labor of tractor work, if you will) with multiple tall skinny tires as opposed to huge float tires like you see on 3 wheeled crop spray rigs.

Floating doesn't equal traction.

Skinny tires drive nicer on the road, they're less susceptible to tracking and they cut through snow better for the same reasons above. Not to mention heavy rain driving and hydro plaining. Plus they are lighter, obviously, which means less wear and tear on the driveline over time.
I'm a fan of skinny tires on a real world jeep (majority of on road driving), the pros outweigh the cons IMO.

Last edited by srg; 07-27-2015 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
What ride handling issues are you trying to fix that you assume are related to the wide vs narrow tires? Could it instead be related to the alignment? Lack of components to compensate for the lift? Running too much psi?
Running 27 psi had alignment checked twice. But tires seem to fight against each other as far as tracking on some roads .. Have dual steering stabilizers and rancho 9000xl adjustable shock (big difference in ride) .

Quick Reply: Tires size