Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tires and Rims upgraded question!!

Old 01-30-2010, 12:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires and Rims upgraded question!!

There's so much information out there that after a while my head starts to spin. Here's what I'd like to know. How big can anyone go with tires
(32's, 33's) and rims on a stock JK without lifting it? And also without any rubbing issues? Please HELP!
Old 01-30-2010, 01:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree there is a lot of information, but here is my suggestion on how to cope with it.

First read and *understand* the FAQ in this section of the forum. There is a lot of information very nicely summarized in the FAQ, if you don't understand the FAQ then ask specific questions about it.

Second if you are asking a question about a topic that you don't understand to well, ask very specific pointed questions. Otherwise you will get a bunch of responses that are all over the map just like many threads that you have probably read and didn't get the information you wanted.

Instead as asking "how big can ....," if you want a specific answer ask something like "Can I run 325/60R17 tires with no lift with zero interference?" If you have selected a brand of tires that is even better information.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:32 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

In addition to what spinlock said, the other thing to research is the 'actual' height of the tire when mounted on the vehicle, at your chosen inflation and load. Do not go by the mfg's listed spec! Actual heights could easily be 1-1.5" shorter than spec...
Old 01-30-2010, 01:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

See that's the issue. I haven't picked anything yet as far as sizes or brands. All I know is that I want a certain look but don't know how to get it. I'll be doing mostly highway driving with an ocassional trip to the woods. I know that 33's could give me the look I want which is a " little agressive". At a 4x4 shop I was told I couldn't go bigger than 32's without a lift kit. This is all for a 4-door 07. But thanks for the reply... I'll look into it some more!!
Old 01-30-2010, 01:59 PM
JK Freak

I've been grappling with the same question. My 07 Sahara came with 245/75R/16's. What the heck those came off of, I have no idea. I just put my friends tires and rims off his Rubicon. Those are 255/75R/17's. Looks much better, but still too much wheel well. I have a friend who works for a tire store and he said I can go a 285/70R/17's without a lift. I want to go a mudder tire because I hate the look of street tires on a Jeep. It's like fingernails on a chaulk board.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 33s with spacers

I just bought a 2010 JK 4 door. Got 33 inch ProComp Extreme Mud Terrains. These are excellent tires (for me). I have run them for awhile. They also look great without being too over the top. And the triple sidewall is great piece of mind. I highly recommend these tires.

33s on the JK is no problem. Just have them put spacers in the front. I almost went with a lift, but the guy told me I would be very happy with the spacers and they were cheap. Have plenty of clearance and it looks good. I am not a big fan of a ton of space between the tire and fender. These fit perfect.

Finally, I ran chrome wheels forever. Was a constant job to keep them clean... ton of work. Decided on black this time. Best decision I ever made. They look great and I will never touch them. Would get all 5. Spare needs to be the same size anyway and the black wheel and tire look great on the back. You will need a spacer, but the tailgate has no problem carrying the weight.

Hope this helps. Very happy with my choices. Happy to have the chrome behind me....

Old 01-31-2010, 05:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great! We speak the same language! That' a nice red plus the black rims give it a cool look. I have to ask, why spacers in front only and not in the back? Is it because of the size of the rims? Thanks for the help!

Last edited by black-x; 01-31-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Front Spacers

I really don't know. Wheels and tires set me back quite a bit of money and this was within a week of purchasing the jeep, so I really wanted to hold off purchasing a lift.

I told the installer there were mixed reviews on whether 33s would work with a stock JK. He told me it would be close and I could get a little rubbing up front.

He said by putting some small spacers up there, 33s would work fine without the lift. And he told me it would not look strange... would actually level out the jeep.

But I may have misunderstood him at the time. I was trying to keep track of all the options and final price tag in my head!
Old 02-01-2010, 05:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Teraflex Leveling Kit

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/front-end-looks-lower-than-back-117005/

Just found this link. Hope it helps.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks, I'll look into it when the time comes.

Quick Reply: Tires and Rims upgraded question!!