Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tires in a nutshell?

Old 02-25-2016, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by olyelr
Do you experience any issues with adding siping? Like bad chunking? Have you only siped at's or have you tried mt's also? Man, i swear that adding a bunch of sipes to mt's would have to work wonders for wintertime travel. Not only on the road, but even off road. I just wonder if i will start experiencing heavy chunking or any other issues. My plan is to go fairly heavy with the sipes on all center tread blocks (just not overly deep), and a bit less sipes on the outers along with not cutting fully through from side to side (i think that may help with chunking).
No issues whatsoever. I leave the outside lugs alone always. The problem I have had with a more street geared AT is that they usually have cuts and dimples that small rock s get buried into. These destroy blades like crazy and a dull blade will give you shitty cuts. That being said, ATs with more solid lugs or even MTs will be easier and benefit the most. As far as chunking... I don't know. Not any more than us would see on a standard AT if your going to be spinning on the the rocks all day. I like the coopers al lot. I've been a mountain biker my whole life and if ever there was a tire snob it is me. I have not been impressed with the traction I have seen off-road with some of the other major brands w/o naming them. Particularly when they're wet and when it really counts. I love me some coopers.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Check the ongoing 'Duratrac, Not Impressed' thread, lots of opinion there.

I was looking at the KM2 a few months back, and was told that it is end of life and they are developing the KM3 now. Prices had skyrocketed (for the 37" size, at least) so it was not even an option for me.

The Cooper SST Pro is fairly new, so not a lot of reviews yet, but you might add it to your list of tires to research.
i used to run 33" Cooper SST Maxx , and when I switched to 35s and jumped over to GY Duratracs..........All I'll say is boy do I miss my Coopers

Quick Reply: Tires in a nutshell?