Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Tires in a nutshell?

Old 01-15-2016, 06:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepstercanada
I'm running cooper pro my friend who runs them to agrees we like them better then duratrac on dry and wet roads. And there decent in the winter. Better then factory rubicon tires. They are amazing in deep snow
these are the Copper STT Pro's right?
Old 01-15-2016, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I've got the standard Cooper stt and it works well around here so far. I'm still waiting for the big snow but they tame the mean streets and allow me to play when I want to. There's a set of km2's on Craigslist if you're dying to try out some new rubber.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:10 PM
JK Newbie

If your running 18s or less I would strongly recommend the Fierce Attitude M/Ts I had a set on my 07 F150 and got over 60k miles on them with regular normal towing. pulling lawnmower, polaris ranger, boats, etc. offroading was everything I needed. Bonus was the Fairly reasonable price on a set of 18s for my truck $1100 mounted and balanced. I want them for my jeep but i have 20s :(. Just my .02
Old 01-16-2016, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by heycody
these are the Copper STT Pro's right?
Yes the new Stt pro tires are amazing way more road friendly then with better offroad to
Old 01-16-2016, 05:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been running the km2s on my jeep for a while now. This is my second set, with the other being under a full size dodge truck. My main complaint with the tire is snow performace. Like most mt's, they are downright dangerous on the roads. Go out through a field full of snow and they are fine, but get on the plowed roads and you better be very cautious. Also, the height issue pisses me off too. My 35's barley measured 34 when brand new, and just over 33 with the weight of the jeep on them. If you want a 35 km2, then buy the 37s. Otherwise, they have been good tires for me. Quiet. Run down the road pretty good for an mt.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:00 PM
JK Freak

On a side note, im going to buy a tire cutter/siper and put a bunch of sipes in these km2s. It will have to help tremendously for winter performance.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:24 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by olyelr
On a side note, im going to buy a tire cutter/siper and put a bunch of sipes in these km2s. It will have to help tremendously for winter performance.
A local Discount Tire shop recently told me that they did some big study on siping, and were so unimpressed with the results that they actually pulled all of their machines out.

Kinda sucked, since I had just gotten two tires replaced under warranty, and wanted to get them siped to match the original three.

I'd like to find that study and see the actual results. (assuming there was a study and there wasn't some other reason for pulling the machine out of that location)
Old 01-16-2016, 06:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by heycody
hmm, I guess the thing I keep running into is what exact kind of wheeling I plan to do. I just got to the VA area and got my Jeep this pass week so I have to look up any nearby clubs, groups or places to go. I've also been thinking depending on when I actual purchase the tires and if winter season is over by the time I get them, I may just purchase some MTs and save up to switch to the Duratracs when winter comes back around.
It's more money at the start but that's why I do .... 35" Duratracs on steel rims the last 3 winters and I really like them.... And then back to my 37" MTR's for summer
Old 01-17-2016, 06:23 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
A local Discount Tire shop recently told me that they did some big study on siping, and were so unimpressed with the results that they actually pulled all of their machines out.

Kinda sucked, since I had just gotten two tires replaced under warranty, and wanted to get them siped to match the original three.

I'd like to find that study and see the actual results. (assuming there was a study and there wasn't some other reason for pulling the machine out of that location)
Hmm, I would like to see that as well. That sounds crazy.

Obviously the risk for tire chunking will be greater with siping, but the added performance has to be well worth it.

I will say I have seen some tires that were siped by those machines and I was not too overly impressed. A bunch of random slices all over in weird locations. That's why I want to buy a tire groover/siper, sit down with a 12 pack and just take my sweet ass time putting sipes exactly where I feel they should be.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by olyelr
Hmm, I would like to see that as well. That sounds crazy. Obviously the risk for tire chunking will be greater with siping, but the added performance has to be well worth it. I will say I have seen some tires that were siped by those machines and I was not too overly impressed. A bunch of random slices all over in weird locations. That's why I want to buy a tire groover/siper, sit down with a 12 pack and just take my sweet ass time putting sipes exactly where I feel they should be.
I have one and swear by it. The problem with most ATs is that they are only sipped the first 5/32s of tread which means they are great in snow first year and terrible when they wear. I custom cut mine every year before winter with 4mm grooves and sipes depending on tire and it makes such a difference. Most people think I'm crazy... But I know you all understand.

Quick Reply: Tires in a nutshell?